TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to change the transmission fluid with 204,000 miles? I heard that if it hasn't been changed before. That you shouldn't change it now because it will cause it to slip. I have no idea if it has been changed before! Is that true?

·
Deal Master
2,922 Posts
I would do a simple drain & fill-

On high- mileage transmissions- its been said that a complete flush is too much of a "shock" for the old transmission.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What color is the fluid now? It should be reddish... ;)

My 93 T-100 has over 256,000 on it and I was told it used to be a work truck. The fluid didn't even have a tinge of red in it. Finally got around to draining the pan (via the drain plug) and even jacked up the front end with my hydraulic floor jack to git as much fluid out as possible. Checked out the crush washer and cleaned up the drain plug. Measured out what came out by draining the old fluid from the catch pan into some 1/2 gallon juice bottles. Only about 3 quarts came out. So I put the old fluid into an old kitty litter container and measured out 3 quarts of new fluid and put it through the dipstick pipe. Checked fer leaks and then started the truck up. Put it through all the gears and did a road test. Not a prob. :D Will probably do another drain/fill in a few weeks after a long road trip.

I would probably stay away from doing a flush on yer transmission though. It could dislodge junk and jam up yer tranny.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked the transmission fluid. Brown ='s burnt I reckon? So, I probably shouldn't mess with it. I figured if I flushed it it would do as you said dislodge some crap and screw it up even more. Is it ok to not mess with it?

·
Deal Master
2,922 Posts
Motox2399 said:
Is it ok to not mess with it?
Well- you've already got 204K miles out of it....If it aint broke......

A drain & refill is a pretty small volume relative to the entire volume-
So its your call- Just check to make sure you have enough fluid.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If its brown its really dirty, doesn't neccessarily mean its burning fluid. Any fluid has a life expectency and only works at optimal levels for so long. If the fluid has been in there longer than it is able to do what is required of it, burnt is the least of the worries. I would change it, don't just let it rot away. If you have said mileage on your vehicle and tranny fluid has never been changed it will probably look more black than anything, almost like used motor oil.

If your going to change it the best way is to drain, remove tranny pan, clean pan, etc and refill fluid. Never flush or you risk clogging the valve body, etc with metal particles. Also if your interested pull the dipstick and look for shiny pieces of metal prior to any repairs. I'd run it about 5k and drain and refill fluid again and so on and so forth for several intervals. Although running an auto tranny for over 200k miles without changing fluid has definitally cut it's life short and it's hard telling exactly what could happen. :2cents:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.