TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright im sick of this S**T :mad: I am going to be changing my pads and rotors for the third time again because resurfacing the previous ones only lasted for about 2 months. The old ones are crappy cheap ones you buy from the auto store.

-ordered a set of brembo blanks and Hawks LTS brake pads from tirerack.com
-Planning on putting fresh brake fluid at brakemasters or stealership.
-getting alignment done.

Now as far as calipers I have been reading different threads and find that you know your calipers are bad if the truck starts pulling one way during braking. Mines does not do this, so I should be clear on calipers right?

anything else i should do?

·
Registered
756 Posts
big, i did mine last year. it was a pain! i do have 147000 on my truck though. if the calipers were new it would have been a sinch. the problem i ran into are the "pins" in the calipers were impossible to get out. i can remember exactly what the part is called but it just looks like a little rod. i had to cut one out and drill out the hole. low and behold they had brand new pins at advance auto. good luck man.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I went through 3 sets of OEM pads and 1 cheap set of rotors until I figured it out too. I threw out the china rotors and replaced them with the Brembo blanks and OEM pads. So far the performance has been great. No more vibrations, pulling, fading, and very little dust. I wouldn't worry about the hardware kit... Just get some of the Permtex anti-squeal stuff and put a few coats on the back of the pads. It's worked great on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
773 Posts
96tacomasx said:
big, i did mine last year. it was a pain! i do have 147000 on my truck though. if the calipers were new it would have been a sinch. the problem i ran into are the "pins" in the calipers were impossible to get out. i can remember exactly what the part is called but it just looks like a little rod. i had to cut one out and drill out the hole. low and behold they had brand new pins at advance auto. good luck man.
Those pins are called "slides". Mine rusts up pretty pad between changes too. Never had a problems with seizing though. I take a little PB blaster and some sand paper to them. I then threw on a thin coat of rustoleum.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
My Truck is 7 years old now and my Original Pads still look new, I have a feeling when it is time to change mine "probably in another 7 years" that I will be better off buying new Calipers that are already loaded.

·
Registered
42 Posts
96tacomasx said:
I did rotors and pads on my 02 tacoma and had the same problem the pins were a pain :saw: i had to get new ones as well

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yikes... I am about to tear into my front brakes tomorrow. I am not looking forward to it now. I was going to just put some Brake Best (O'Reilly's Brand) pads and some cheap china rotors. The only reason why I was thinking to go with this setup is because I have a friend who works @ a parts store and he can get me the pads & rotors for $38 total!! The rotors are only $12 a piece... thats cheaper then turning them!! Only thing I am worried about is how long these pads & rotors will last. If I get factory pads ($48) and some good USA rotors ($100 for both), I am paying approx. 4 times a much... so I guess the question would be, would OEM pads and good rotors last 4 times as long as the other setup? Anyone have any advice before I make a decision tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Blinn79 said:
Yikes... I am about to tear into my front brakes tomorrow. I am not looking forward to it now. I was going to just put some Brake Best (O'Reilly's Brand) pads and some cheap china rotors. The only reason why I was thinking to go with this setup is because I have a friend who works @ a parts store and he can get me the pads & rotors for $38 total!! The rotors are only $12 a piece... thats cheaper then turning them!! Only thing I am worried about is how long these pads & rotors will last. If I get factory pads ($48) and some good USA rotors ($100 for both), I am paying approx. 4 times a much... so I guess the question would be, would OEM pads and good rotors last 4 times as long as the other setup? Anyone have any advice before I make a decision tomorrow?
The question is more on how much is your time worth? If you dont mind changing your brakes frequently then I would say go with the Cheap ones.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Blinn79 said:
I agree with Enzogfx on this one. You don't want to put the junk rotors on your truck.The warping and front end shake is not a good thing for you or the truck and you will just be replacing them very soon in most cases. If you haven't had any problems with your OEM setup then I would at least spend the money to go that way but not with the cheap rotors, Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tacoma Brakes

I bought my Tacoma 2.7, 5m, 4x4 in November 2001 How long do the factory brakes usually last on a street driven truck?? :confused:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Shakerhood said:
My Truck is 7 years old now and my Original Pads still look new, I have a feeling when it is time to change mine "probably in another 7 years" that I will be better off buying new Calipers that are already loaded.
Do you even drive it?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
You get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap! The main reason calipers fail is not changing out fliud every 2 yrs min and the fluid gets comtaminated. Calipers are easy to overhaul. Rotors can be turned once now a days usually. Old days you could turn to .030, .060 and 090 over. Now days you can turn once and throw away. I have 39K on my stock brakes with no problem. I check them everytime I rotate (2500 miles) my tires. What the factory says to change on our trucks is the minimum requirement. A little extra TLC can go a long ways. I would rather pay a little extra now then failure later?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bassetdad said:
I bought my Tacoma 2.7, 5m, 4x4 in November 2001 How long do the factory brakes usually last on a street driven truck?? :confused:
I bought my truck used from the Toyota dealership with 70k on it. i told them to put new brakes on it all the way around before i wold take delivery on it. the sales manager said no problem but when i went in to take the truck he saved them to show me what they looked like. they did install all new brakes but the old ones looked almost new. i couldn't beeive it.

i have since pulled the truck in for a SAS after another 50k that i put on it and the callipers are still hanging. there is probably another 10k on the pads. i must be heavier on the pedal than the PO.

i would say that anywhere between 50-70k. i can't belive i'm saying this, what other vehicle goes that long between brakes?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Blinn79 said:
Why even get new rotors? I can't believe your stock '02 ones could be under spec.
As for the poster about how many miles to expect on brakes...I've got about 87,000 miles on my '99 with stock pads and rotors. I'm going to be replacing the pads soon, but the rotors are still good and actually the pads aren't there yet!
Obviously driving style and transmission and driving conditions will make results vary greatly...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Where you live and how you drive make all the difference in brake life. A guy who lives in Kansas could make his brakes last for many years and very high miles. If you live in the mountains and have no choice but go up and down mountains and through mud and water all day every day you will be lucky to get a year or two,Mike

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Mike-in-WV said:
Where you live and how you drive make all the difference in brake life. A guy who lives in Kansas could make his brakes last for many years and very high miles. If you live in the mountains and have no choice but go up and down mountains and through mud and water all day every day you will be lucky to get a year or two,Mike
I'm sure freeway driving (stops from high speeds) and stop-and-go driving are also hard on brakes. I rarely go over 75 mph and use the engine to assist on hills and such.

·
Registered
552 Posts
ljschnel said:
I'm sure freeway driving (stops from high speeds) and stop-and-go driving are also hard on brakes. I rarely go over 75 mph and use the engine to assist on hills and such.
Yep, sounds like you got it right. Slow stops and down shifting on the hills really helps, Mike

1 - 20 of 33 Posts