TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info or pics or know where a couple of good write ups are on swapping the FRONT diff gears. I am not finding much good info.

The rears are just like a Ford 9" but I would like to find a set of instructions on changing the front diff gears.

I have a 1999...

Any help?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
ben992 said:
Does anyone have any info or pics or know where a couple of good write ups are on swapping the FRONT diff gears. I am not finding much good info.

The rears are just like a Ford 9" but I would like to find a set of instructions on changing the front diff gears.

I have a 1999...

Any help?

Thanks,

Ben
Actually, it doesn't appear on the NE site anymore (unless I missed it), but there is a FSM onlline here: http://fsm.afraid.org/

As was said before, if you need instructions, you might consider getting help. There's a little witchcraft involved... Good Luck!

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
Come on Ben, LOL
I think Berry, a new INDY resident could help you out
He is actually working on a SAS
If he doesn't see this post, I will forward it to him!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the link Chris. Made my day. Now I don't always have to rely on the Haynes Manual.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
98 Taco said:
Come on Ben, LOL
I think Berry, a new INDY resident could help you out
He is actually working on a SAS
If he doesn't see this post, I will forward it to him!
No offense to Bear and I may be wrong, but I dont believe he has set up gears before. Again, I may be wrong. Bear, correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
ben992 said:

I have a 1999...

Any help?

Thanks,

Ben
The 8.4 rear of a Taco is not "just like a Ford 9""; it has a cantilevered pinion gear with only two bearings vs. a simply supported pinion with three bearings. The pinion preload adjustment is completely different. The carrier preload and backlash adjustment are also different in that the 9" uses spanner rings, and the 8.4 Toyo uses shims.

The 7.5 Toyo front uses shims on the carrier and backlash adjustment, a shim for the pinion depth, and a crush sleeve for pinion preload. The case must be split to do anything, and a hole attachment must be used on the dial indicator to measure backlash. If you are new to setting up diff gears, the 7.5 is probably one of the hardest to try and learn on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts