TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the proper method for disconnecting the fuel filter from the fuel lines when changing the filter?

I attempted this today, but I held off because I couldn't find a way to get the filter out from between the lines without potentially bending the lines. They have to come out about 1/2 inch on each side of the filter, but the metal lines don't have that much play in them.

This is on a 2000 Tacoma with the filter monted on the inside of the frame rails at about mid-chassis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just go ahead and gently bend them out of the way. Be sure to use a line wrench on those fittings- they're tight from the factory and round off easily if you're using a regular open-ended wrench.

The lines will go right back into place if you're careful when re-installing the new filter. I change 'em all the time like this at work ( I'm a master tech at a Toyota Dealership) and haven't had a problem yet...

Ryan

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is a 2.7, isn't it? Yes, it is a major pain in the ass to change. I don't know any easy way to do it but somebody else may know. I'll be watching this thread cause I want to know... :xpopcorn2

Oh, and you might want to do a search to see what else turns up... :2cents:

·
Registered
584 Posts
When I did mine on my 98 (should be the same), I removed a few of the clamps holding the lines to the frame rails so the line could flex enough to get them out of the filter. It is a tight fit but you can do it. Dont worry about flexing the lines a little bit, just do not go animal on them and bend them. Thats when you run into problems.

-AJ

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
meithkiller said:
This is a 2.7, isn't it? Yes, it is a major pain in the ass to change. I don't know any easy way to do it but somebody else may know. I'll be watching this thread cause I want to know... :xpopcorn2

Oh, and you might want to do a search to see what else turns up... :2cents:
3.4 he said it was mounted frame rail mid chassis. 2.7 is unfortunately under the intake manifold. Fawkers. Im gonna relocate that shit one day. Ive changed mine bout every 30k, im at 128k. Well shoot, Ive only done it 3 times. at 33k, 70somethingk and 110k.

ehop, where in Murfreesboro are you? I happen to be in Antioch this weekend.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Im hoping you unbolted the bracket that holds the fuel filter to the truck right? If so just disconnect the fuel lines and GENTLY pull the filter out one side at a time. It sould just sorta slide right out.
Note: You can loosen the brackets that hold the fuel line to the truck and it should make it easier.

If you were in MS I could do it for you in 20-30 mins.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
:flipoff4: it sucked the first time, the second time it only took me 30 mins, the most recent it was 30 degrees and it took damn near 2 hrs. I wanted to put a match to my truck, not happy.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Im about to change my Fuel Filter out for peace of mind.... Do the line ends need to be plug during the transition to limit the amount of fuel spillage?? or just let it flow and connect the new filter asap??

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
no much will spill out so yo udon't have to worry bout capping the lines. wear eye protection as the gas will spray out when you undo the fitting.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Well.. Attempt #1 didn't work... I have to head out somewhere so I just left it as is for now.. But the fuel was comming out pretty quickly.. I though I just had to drain out the main lines.. but that wasn't the case.. it was flowing out for a while.. So.. I'll try it again prolly tomorrow Morn or sometime soon... anyother tips would be greatly appriciated... Thanx.. :)

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
ehop said:
What's the proper method for disconnecting the fuel filter from the fuel lines when changing the filter?

I attempted this today, but I held off because I couldn't find a way to get the filter out from between the lines without potentially bending the lines. They have to come out about 1/2 inch on each side of the filter, but the metal lines don't have that much play in them.

This is on a 2000 Tacoma with the filter monted on the inside of the frame rails at about mid-chassis.[/QUOTE

I just changed mine and was really worried about bending the lines. I just took it slow and it all worked out in the end. Just take your time and don't get fustrated. Glad to see a fellow Tennesseean on here. :D

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Animal said:
Well.. Attempt #1 didn't work... I have to head out somewhere so I just left it as is for now.. But the fuel was comming out pretty quickly.. I though I just had to drain out the main lines.. but that wasn't the case.. it was flowing out for a while.. So.. I'll try it again prolly tomorrow Morn or sometime soon... anyother tips would be greatly appriciated... Thanx.. :)
on either side of the filter there are "brackets" that hold the fuel lines to the body of the truck. grab that bracket and pull down and it should release the bracket from the body giving you enough play to remove the filter. you need to remove the clamp before you try removing the filter. don't be a pussy with the lines, they don't bend that easy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts