TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever change their interior color? I have the gray in my 98 and I want something a little darker. I am thinking of usung the SEM color coat aerosol paint for the dash and panels. I need a tutorial on how to remove the whole dash, and any opinions from an experienced person who has changed ther color of their inerior.

Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump....Anyone ever change any interior color of any car? Need some suggestions here. Want to get started ASAP.

Danny

·
Registered
469 Posts
Maybe they did them wrong, but every car I've ever seen with "painted" vinyl eventually looked pretty darn crappy. If you do this, I would definitely not skimp on the materials used (but I'll admit that I'm not sure if even the good stuff will last very long without peeling/chipping and looking cheap). I know a few people who now wish they'd never tried the switch. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but good luck to you if you do. I would also like a darker grey/charcoal color but I guess I'll live with what I have.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with Jamier2. I have seen a few interiors that have had their colors changed, and I think the only REAL way to do it is replace EVERYTHING with the color you want (not exactly cost effective, i know). I have seen vinyl dye's work well, but I have yet to see any product out there that can change the color of the hard plastic and keep it looking stock, the problem is, the hard plastic is the color you see, it is not a paint or coating, it is a colorant that is mixed into the material before the plastic pieces are formed, but anything you do to change the color is going to be applied over-top of the plastic, so it wont look quite right.

If you do decide to tackle the job, definately use high-quality products, and make sure to let us know how it all turned out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The dash on my 01 is light grey & it is painted plastic. Im sure all tacomas are the same....as long as you used a paint made for plastic & prepped it properly it should work.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
interior painting

ddriggers2 said:
Anyone ever change their interior color? I have the gray in my 98 and I want something a little darker. I am thinking of usung the SEM color coat aerosol paint for the dash and panels. I need a tutorial on how to remove the whole dash, and any opinions from an experienced person who has changed ther color of their inerior.

Thanks
I was reading something on customtacos.com about the whole interior painting thing. It seems most of them completely remove all of the interior, and any plastic peices they sand completely smooth, so it sounds like a good bit of work. It could turn out good or it could turn out to look like shit, so keep that in mind. Peace, Wes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts