TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to change the clutch on a 4x4? I assume you have to disconnect the driveshaft and drop the transfer case? Is this like a royal pain in the butt job?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Depends on how mechanically inclined you are and the tools available. I am only 18 and will change mine this summer. I have been working on cars since i was about 12-13. I have had to drop the tranny in my 66 Stang that has long tube headers on it and it wasnt too bad. The taco doesnt have those to get in the way and it sits about a foot higher too so to me it wont be too bad.

·
Registered
503 Posts
97TacoDude said:
How hard is it to change the clutch on a 4x4? I assume you have to disconnect the driveshaft and drop the transfer case? Is this like a royal pain in the butt job?

Wow this is the first post you have ever started that actually beongs on this board. Way to go.

In reference to your question. Changing the clutch is about a 4-6 hour job and your need a hand for at least part of it. Make sure you replace the Throughout bearing and resurface the flywheel. Also replace the pressure plate and not just the clutch disk. Its not worth it tare everything apart and not replace the rest of the setup.

Your also going a need a clutch alignment tool if you dont have one or if your clutch doesnt come with one (the stock clutch doesn't come with one). I machined one out plastic in about 2 minutes with the old clutch to get the diameter right.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Chris

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not to say its a bad idea but alot of the time it isnt nesscesary to resurface your flywheel, only if it has some glazing on it. For the most part it should be ok to just rough it up with some gritty sand paper in circular motions. I just think It can be a pain to be working on your clutch for hours then take the flywheel off to take it in to get it done then come back to put it back in, and all the while whos driving? Not your truck anyway :)

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Does a torch work to get that outta there too?

No really, the xcase comes off with the transmission. And yes, the driveshafts will need to be disconnected. Also the shifters from above will need to be removed. Along with the other stuff mentioned already, while it's outta the truck replacing fluids in the transmission and xcase is a great idea.

Many tools are needed, and if you don't have a bl of some sort, getting to some of the bolts on the bellhousing sucks! When we did my friends, we attached a 2x6 to a floor jack and strapped the tranny/xcase to the 2x6/jack so that we wouldn't have to "catch it".

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,597 Posts
97TacoDude said:
I've done about 7 clutch jobs on Toyota trucks, and the fastest I've ever done one is just over 4hrs, with help. I average about 6hrs. After doing several, I know all the little tricks. Keep in mind that the transfer and tranny come out as one unit which is almost 3ft long and over 150lbs. Not an easy beast to move around by yourself. A tranny jack comes in very handy.
Other list of necessary tools:
slide hammer
torque wrench
20" or 36" socket extension
Plus a variety of standard tools.

I've given numerous tips and procedures for a clutch job, just search on here and the old forum.

·
Registered
503 Posts
ShowStop said:
I've done about 7 clutch jobs on Toyota trucks, and the fastest I've ever done one is just over 4hrs, with help. I average about 6hrs. After doing several, I know all the little tricks. Keep in mind that the transfer and tranny come out as one unit which is almost 3ft long and over 150lbs. Not an easy beast to move around by yourself. A tranny jack comes in very handy.
slide hammer
torque wrench

I've given numerous tips and procedures for a clutch job, just search on here and the old forum.
A nuckle for the socket works wounders also. As for resurfacing the flywheel. Its personal preference. You could probably get away with out doing it, but its the right way to do the job. I would rather not have to deal with it again down the road.

Just FYI. I changed the clutch out on my taco last summer all by my self. They only part i needed help with was getting the tcase/tranny out and back in. Took me about 6hrs over two days. I was shocked when I pulled the clutch the disk looked almost identical to the old one. I could have gone another 50k with out changing it. I had 110K on the truck at that time with about 25K of pulling a 4000Lbs trailer.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
185 Posts
ShowStop said:
slide hammer
torque wrench

I've done a bunch too. My best time was just under 2 hours in my old 82 that had a 3 inch body lift. And I didn't resurface the flywheel on that one. But i'm curious, what do you need a slide hammer for? Removing (or destroying) the pilot bearing? If so, way easier to grind the head off a bolt so it's basically a hook and use a socket, a washer, and a nut with an impact wrench. Super slick.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That ground head puller bolt is a great idea! My pilot bearing was a pain and It took me forever to find a slide hammer and a screw to get it out but yeah I could have used that! damn next time ill remember, thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts