TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what exactly does OUR charcoal canisters do in OUR Tacomas? I have a 2.7L and have the little triangular shaped one hanging under my intake tube. I got this as a definition.....
Definition: A storage device in the evaporative emissions control system. It is a small cylindrical or rectangular container that contains activated charcoal particles. The charcoal traps gasoline vapors from the fuel tank (and carburetor on older vehicles). Later, the vapors are purged and drawn into the engine when the vehicle is being driven..

Mine doesnt appear to have any particles in it nor does it look like it could trap gas fumes and stuff from my tank. Anyone know? I have seen some kits , like Airraid that eliminate the need for these canisters. So do we realy need em?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
what exactly does OUR charcoal canisters do in OUR Tacomas? I have a 2.7L and have the little triangular shaped one hanging under my intake tube. I got this as a definition.....
Definition: A storage device in the evaporative emissions control system. It is a small cylindrical or rectangular container that contains activated charcoal particles. The charcoal traps gasoline vapors from the fuel tank (and carburetor on older vehicles). Later, the vapors are purged and drawn into the engine when the vehicle is being driven..

Mine doesnt appear to have any particles in it nor does it look like it could trap gas fumes and stuff from my tank. Anyone know? I have seen some kits , like Airraid that eliminate the need for these canisters. So do we realy need em?
As Rebuilt98 said, that is not the charcoal canister. The canister is on the driver's side fender.

An aftermarket air intake will do nothing to affect the charcoal canister.

Yes, you need the charcoal canister as it is an emission control device. It's good for the environment.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, but does anyone know what the little canister or box is that is hooked under the intake tube on the 2.7L?

·
Registered
395 Posts
A charcoal canister stores gasoline fumes from the fuel tank to be burnt at part throttle. The purge valve lets the vapor into the engine. This will also help you get better gas mileage as you won't waste the fuel in the canister. So, yea, you need it. It doesn't affect horsepower or anything either.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the silencer, as you previously guessed.

Hey , thanks a bunch .I may take it off .I like to take off junk i dont need . I changed out my air filter the other day and the silencer kept poping off , so it got me to thinking what its purpose was. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
So I think that these (red arrows) are the silencers. Where is the charcoal canister?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
on an '01 or earlier, it will be in the upper right corner of your picture.

·
Registered
870 Posts
yours is under the bed right behind the gas tank, next to the brake proportioning valve,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts