TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i was about to buy 50 feet of bulk 10/3 cable at lowes toady at 1.90$ a foot... 95$ for just cable :(
then i stumbled by these 50 foot 10/3 extension cords for 55$ and chopped the ends off

so i got one of these for 16$ to plug in where the a/c in the garage is

and the other end is wired in such a way that i can have 110/220 (11$ for the plug) i saved 1 foot of the female end of the cord.

id post wiring info... but i dont want to be responsible for someone killing themselves :D

and i gotta share a pic of my new baby!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you find that at Lowes?? The plug end won't work for me, but the other end is Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect!!

Tim
you can have any plug you want on there.. i just got that one for my purpose.
everything came from lowes. at frst it was kinda hard to cut the end off of a 55$ cord, but ended up saving the female end for 120 stuff

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Just a thought to throw out there, and me not knowing how far away you are from your 220 connection. It's always better to have your extension cord as short as possible. I think it has something to do with the longer the extension cord, the less power the machine actually receives. But, yeah, those 220 extension cords are not cheap and this is a great way to cut that cost, some.
Have fun with your welder. I bought a comparable machine to that, a Lincoln 175 and it is by far one of my most used tools and some of the best money I have spent!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Good call for the people who don't have huge electrical stores around....I just got done making one also out of 10/3 ($1.07 a ft here in Portland??). Everything I have read states 50' of 10/3 with a 175/180/187 welder is prefectly fine with no power loss due to length. I figured out how to build my extension cord off of www.weldingweb.com because I didn't want to burn down my house.:D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Looks like you stumbled onto a good deal! I always say, " I fell in shit and came out smelling like roses". Good for you, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I just got mine together last night and it works!!!! I haven't done any welding or cutting with the plasma, but I will be this weekend.

Thanks Law!!!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Just make sure your breaker can handle the load. That is how fires can start. Sometimes the wiring will get too hot and cause a fire...
I installed a new 50 amp breaker with the right guage wire for my 210 Mig. I hate electricty!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Make sure the breaker WIRE can handle the load, before the breaker. The wire is where the fire starts....;)
Anyone that searches in the future in regards to wiring a welder - here is a good link:
http://www.weldingweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Trevor:welder:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Okay, I used mine this weekend and it worked fine with the plasma cutter, but when I tried to use the welder, it was a not go. The voltage drop was just too much and the welder wasn't working right. I'm going to shorten the cord from 50 feet to 25 and see if that helps. I don't need all 50 feet so it's no problem.

FYI, my welder is a Lincoln model 170t (220 welder)

Tim

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Get a thicker gauge. That might be your problem. Seemed thin to me to begin with anyways.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I used mine this weekend and it worked fine with the plasma cutter, but when I tried to use the welder, it was a not go. The voltage drop was just too much and the welder wasn't working right. I'm going to shorten the cord from 50 feet to 25 and see if that helps. I don't need all 50 feet so it's no problem.

FYI, my welder is a Lincoln model 170t (220 welder)

Tim
check the connections.. one may be loose

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have run 10/3 before and didn't have a problem. That may be too long of a run. I am running 8 guage now, works fine, but it's pricey.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have run 10/3 before and didn't have a problem. That may be too long of a run. I am running 8 guage now, works fine, but it's pricey.
30 amps at 50 foot would need a 12 gauge..

IMO 10 is a little overkill :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

That is what I have read as well. (lots of reading).
I am running a Hobart 187 on 50' of the industrial type 10/3 with no problems at all.....20amp breaker on a 200amp main.

I am wondering if there is a difference in the 110V cord as to the 10/3 you'd pick up at the electrical store because you shouldn't have any issues with that Lincoln 170. That yellow stuff definatley doesn't have as much insulation.....
Is this wired into your dryer plug? I would go over the wiring again just to double check. (2 hots 1 neutral right?) If you're having problems at 50', I bet even cutting the cord in half you still won't be getting full potential power.
:2cents:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

X2, I didn't have any issues running mine with the 10 gauge unless I was welding heavy plate. The wire insulation would get warm. I switched to 8 ga. because my bud gave it to me for free.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. This is not wired into my dryer, but a dedicated 220 plug on nearly right next to the breaker box. I'm going to go through all my connections, but I think it might have to do with the fact that the wire from the breaker box to the plug needs to be bigger. I will check this out over the next few days and get back with everyone. Like I said, the extension cord worked perfectly with my plasma cutter, but the welder did not like it.

Tim

1 - 20 of 27 Posts