TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idiot roommate borrowed my '99 Taco and, sure enough, crashed the side into a pylon while backing into a parking spot.

I usually don't care much about scratches and cosmetics, but I wanna pretty it up so I can sell it and buy another Taco.

What's the best way to get the same matte black paint for the fender flares? The normal touch up paint looks too shinmy.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
That would depend on what kind of material the flares are made of, metal, urethane or what.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Testors flat black enamel paint for models should hold up relatively well. Pep boys/autozome *might* have flat black touch up pain tas well. You have to play with it to get a match. I'd suggest using a bottle of semi gloss an flat, and add semi gloss to the flat until the sheen is a match. This will take some time to do though.

-Dave

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought some flares from a SAStoy in Arizona, they were in good shape but they definetely needed repainted. I know it sounds crazy, but I just used Rust-O-Leum Flat black with some standard spray primer. They look great, just use 2 or 3 coats. When you are done after a couple of days wipe some armor-all on them and it will give it a great look.

·
Registered
270 Posts
First take the flares off, sand them down with some 220 grit sandpaper, i used Krylon Fusion for plastic in satin black, I have a white taco and the paint looks great allow plenty of time to dry and about three even coats should do it, just make sure you shake the can up before spraying i also did this to the rear bumper for it to match looks great, can send pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bet you could find one flare pretty ceap through a salvage yard if it came down to your painting it not working.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
let me make it easy for you. Sand out any deep scratches with 180 grit.skim wipe any gouges with some two part glazing putty(like bondo only thinner).prime it .resand with 400 or finer.Then paint it with flat black lacquer.If you are worried about matching then paint both flares on that side,problem solved. DO NOT put armorall on paint .sure it looks good temporarily but it will destroy the paint eventually. Just my :2cents: but what do I know.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
patton said:
I bet you could find one flare pretty ceap through a salvage yard if it came down to your painting it not working.
Yea, because tacomas are so easy to find in salvage yards...if you were somehow able to magically find one, it'd be picked through before you could get there. :mad:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
CYi5 said:
Yea, because tacomas are so easy to find in salvage yards...if you were somehow able to magically find one, it'd be picked through before you could get there. :mad:
when I totalled mine I couldn't find a salvage yard that had a taco 4x4 within 500 miles of Houston.Doubt they'd sell you just a flare anyway.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Punani said:
My idiot roommate borrowed my '99 Taco and, sure enough, crashed the side into a pylon while backing into a parking spot.

I usually don't care much about scratches and cosmetics, but I wanna pretty it up so I can sell it and buy another Taco.

What's the best way to get the same matte black paint for the fender flares? The normal touch up paint looks too shinmy.

Thanks!
Go with a matte black... and trade 'er in... :D

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Punani said:

Thanks!
your in luck my friend I just did this recently because mine were faded dupicolor has a black paint called I think it's trim paint or somthing it's in a green can with a black top use that. sand the flare with a green pad wipe with alcohol or duplicolor wipes and spray on then put about tree of the black coats and three clear coats works good :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts