TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all ya'll that don't want to spend the $6 for a deckplate, or if you just don't want to cut up your factory airbox, this is for you.

Remove the airbox lid by popping it open, then sliding the tabs toward the cab to free them from the bracket. Use steady force to avoid breaking the tabs. Then drill or poke a hole through the upper portion of the plastic frame of your air filter. Finish it off by running a zip tie or piece of wire through the hole and tie it off to any handy attachment point to keep the filter in contact with the box (the bottom of the filter remains in place via factory spring tabs).

Viola! Now instead of wedging your hand into a tight space to screw in a deckplate, you just cut the zip tie/wire and pop your lid back on. No problem:)

May seem like a bass ackward way of doing thins, but hey, I'm a hillbilly, and it works well fer me:)

Boheefus

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for tip. I tried what you suggested and got 50 more hp. My gas milage also increased to 68 mpg. I'm a hillbilly too and got 3 teeth to prove it. Ha! Ha!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tony56 said:
Thanks for tip. I tried what you suggested and got 50 more hp. My gas milage also increased to 68 mpg. I'm a hillbilly too and got 3 teeth to prove it. Ha! Ha!
Jackass, you crack me up, get back to werk and tell yer wife'n my kids I said hi :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
You got a pic for us peepo to see how it looks?

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Also if u remove the elbow from the inner fender of the air box, u can gain a few ponies.

I just cut open the whole front of my airbox. Louder then hell and works good, unless u travel the deepest of deep mud holes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You guys thinking about doing this mod may want to realize that when you do this mod you're sucking more hot air from the top of the engine where the hot air travels. You want colder air. I've seen this mod and heard people talk about it sucking in more hot air. Just a word and my .02.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poopshute said:
You guys thinking about doing this mod may want to realize that when you do this mod you're sucking more hot air from the top of the engine where the hot air travels. You want colder air. I've seen this mod and heard people talk about it sucking in more hot air. Just a word and my .02.
IMHO that is not accurate. If the airbox were in a position to receive forced air through the grill I would agree. Sitting in traffic or running a trail you are going to get the same basic air supply under the hood. If anything, having the lid off may get you the cooler air being flung about by your fan blades, rather than a charge from the small space between the front of the airbox and the back of the headlight assembly. If you really want cooler air, remove the elbow and the fender liner on the pass. side. The caveat to that is that you will get all the crap from the wheel stuffed up in there. But hey, I am not an engineer, and I am probably wrong, but without an intercooler or an inline icechest, you are gonna get hot air under the hood.

Boheefus

·
Registered
479 Posts
that looks pretty oakie-fied to me, i like shit to look clean when im done, id still spend the 12 bucks to do the deckplate mod

·
Registered
41 Posts
im with gary, its a good idea, and a good way to get more air... but the overall look does not looked finish and complete to me.. and as far as the air temp goes... id say its all pretty much the same underneath the hood.. maybe the slightest change with the deck plate on the highway, in the winter time ;) but other than that.. it seems like its the same air supply to me too...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gary briggs said:
that looks pretty oakie-fied to me, i like shit to look clean when im done, id still spend the 12 bucks to do the deckplate mod
I dun tole you I be a hilbilly. That's why it is "cheaper than a deckplate mod" in the cheap tricks section. :D

Boheefus

·
Registered
5 Posts
Boheefus: I stole your idea and did it on my 4Runner. One thing I found that may be of interest to anybody who want to do this as well, is that you can pull out the three metal clips that are in the lid that you remove. Those three metal clips just happen to be the perfect size and shape to clip over the top edges of the filter and airbox lip to clamp the top edge of the filter back into the airbox. Nice and snug, and no zip ties. When I get my hands on a digital camera I will post pics, if anybody cares. If you look under the lid, you will see what I'm getting at.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Boheefus said:
I dun tole you I be a hilbilly. That's why it is "cheaper than a deckplate mod" in the cheap tricks section. :D

Boheefus
Boheefus, what about when your crossing a stream or something? Somehow I don't know if the top of your airbox wide open will hurt more than it helps when your on the trail. :p

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zosimov21 said:
Boheefus, what about when your crossing a stream or something? Somehow I don't know if the top of your airbox wide open will hurt more than it helps when your on the trail. :p
The cover is on the top of the airbox, and if I am in water that deep I have bigger problems to worry about:)

Boheefus

·
Registered
134 Posts
22re-efer said:
Boheefus: I stole your idea and did it on my 4Runner. One thing I found that may be of interest to anybody who want to do this as well, is that you can pull out the three metal clips that are in the lid that you remove. Those three metal clips just happen to be the perfect size and shape to clip over the top edges of the filter and airbox lip to clamp the top edge of the filter back into the airbox. Nice and snug, and no zip ties. When I get my hands on a digital camera I will post pics, if anybody cares. If you look under the lid, you will see what I'm getting at.
how do you get those little clips off?

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
796 Posts
cauch235 said:
how do you get those little clips off?
Press in the tab up front with a thin flat screwdriver, then pull the clip out.
Couple this mod with the Deckplate mod, and you got major airflow. I actually just kept the lid on the hinges. It won't close because the hood would prevent it from closing back up.

I think we should put a name to this Mod: How about the Boheefus Mod?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As for the name, well I dunno, maybe hate inspiring idiot box? :) I am gonna try to take those clips off today to see how that works out. Nice touch by the way.

Boheefus

·
Registered
116 Posts
zosimov21 said:

if your that deep in water you'll be sucking in water regardless of the top being open or not, your inlet tube on the side of your finder is level with your airbox.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
21 Participants
GOT COPE?
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing