TTORA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light just popped on (of course my state inspection is this month). My truck is a 2001 V6 5spd with 76000 miles. The light came on about 10k ago and it was TPS, my buddy reset it and it went away until now. Recently the truck was stumbling when idling for a long time. I am going to run the code again but I am sure it will be TPS. Is there anyway to clean a TPS or anything to fix the problem without spending all the money on a new sensor?
Thanks,
Anthony

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,563 Posts
Scanning the code is the only way to know if the TPS is really the culprit, but what you describe sounds like that is the cause. The TPS cannot be cleaned, so you will need to replace it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I had the same issues, replaced the TPS and it started doing the same thing yesterday. Difference is that my truck never ever showed a CE light. I just assumed from the rough idle after running highway speeds of about 70-75 that the TPS was the problem. Easy to replace, two bolts but watch you don't drop them. I am now thinking my MAF is going bad but with no CE light I'm still not sure if that's the problem. I have a 98, 2.7 5 speed with 127k.
Jason

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weird Code?

I had the truck scanned and the error code said "TPS Circuit Malfunction" or something to those lines. So I checked the TPS with a Fluke meter and it seems to be giving the correct voltages at closed and WOT. I have the sensor but I dont know if that is the problem. The light is gone now. I am so confused! Help me!
Anthony

·
Registered
89 Posts
My truck was throwing codes too. Code P1135 which is a Air/Fuel Sensor Heater Malfunction. This sensor is located on the Exhaust Manifold. It ended up being something totally different. It was the Ground wire that is bolted to the Intake Manifold being loose. Check your groung wires maybe one of them is loose. My truck was running shitty over a ground wire being loose.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the funny thing, my truck isnt really running shitty. I am so confused.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is all it took to get the CE light to stay off. Also I recently got a check engine light when i was doing the deck plate Mod. Found out it was one of the Vaccumm hoses not hooked up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine is showing the same number. 3.4 V6 02 dbl cab. I've tried resetting, I've tried pulling the neg off the battery, check all the connections and can't seem to find the solution.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to change my TPS and I will keep you posted if that solves it.
Anthony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts