TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 tacoma with the 3.4 v6. i got a check engine light and when the garage checked it they said they got a "p0420 catalyst efficiency low bank 1" they said it could be anything to the wires, o2 sensor or catalytic converter. anybody here have this problem?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
troy_279 said:
i have a 96 tacoma with the 3.4 v6. i got a check engine light and when the garage checked it they said they got a "p0420 catalyst efficiency low bank 1" they said it could be anything to the wires, o2 sensor or catalytic converter. anybody here have this problem?
check for exhaust leaks along your whole exhaust system to just past the rear O2 sensor. I wound up dropping my entire system, plugging up the ends with duct tape along with the O2 and AF sensor openings then punching a small hole in the tape on one end and pumping in compressed air. You then just listen for leaks. Once you find them they will need to be welded. for the the smaller leaks you'll need to spray some soapy water on the varrious joints and connections looking for bubbles.

I discovered nearly a dozen small leaks but now I have no more p420 code ;)

If this isn't the problem start checking your sensors. ( the FSM tells you how to do this http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/ )
Next, check the cats...just disconnect them and look inside ;)
also check your gas cap for tightness or a bad gasket.

good luck

·
Registered
236 Posts
might want to find a mechanic with a more specific code reader. The autozone ones are very general. There are REALLY highend ones that can probably tell you exactly what the deal is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts