TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across this article a while back and I was pretty impressed. It gives a very easy procedure for finding the theoretical angles at which your truck will roll rover . . . Next weekend I am going to drop the 2" body lift so I want to find my roll-over angles before and after to see if they improved. . . .

Note 1: Yes I know that the article is for a jeep. But of course it will apply to trucks just the same. If it's too painful to read, just substitute "Tacoma" everywhere you see "jeep." ;)

Note 2: I know that other factors can add to the cause of a roll-over such as momentum (if you hit an obstacle going too fast), terrain (if a wheel falls in a mudhole or rocks suddenly slip underneath), etc. . . . So this is assuming a static situation where you are barely moving and the surface underneath is completely firm. . ..

But anyhow, I figure it's nice to at least know the maximum static angles that I can reach before I roll-over. Then I have some sort of a basis to go by when I find myself in a very off-camber spot . . .

So tomorrow I'm thinking that I will just use a hi-lift jack on both sides of the truck and lift the truck up by the wheels using the "lift mate" that attaches to the wheels for lifting. . . . The only problem is that I only have one jack and lift mate, so I will need one for other side. Anyone local want to help out with that?. . .

After that I need to get an inclinometer so I can watch my angles on the trail and see if I'm getting close to the dangerous angles. . . . I only see these on E-bay. Anyone have a recommendation for one?

Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Revivalist said:
finding the angles at which your truck will roll rover . . . I want to try it out tomorrow. . . .
that doesnt sound to smart, rolling over that nice new truck wouldnt be good :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CronusTRD said:
Two hi-lift jacks? Do you have a death wish?
Do you think it would really be a big deal if they are on opposite sides just lifting the front end?
SurfingDrunk said:
mine was speed and a curb.
Sounds like a rather expensive way to figure out roll-over angles! :eek:
94runner said:
that doesnt sound to smart, rolling over that nice new truck wouldnt be good :D
I think maybe you misunderstood the original post and the article I linked above. . . . I won't actually be rolling the truck. I only have to measure a few dimensions and take a few weights on a truck scale. . . . Then the roll-over angles can be calculated. . . . The whole point is to AVOID a roll-over on the trail in the future.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Revivalist said:

So tomorrow I'm thinking that I will just use a hi-lift jack on both sides of the truck and lift the truck up by the wheels using the "lift mate" that attaches to the wheels for lifting. . . . The only problem is that I only have one jack and lift mate, so I will need one for other side. Anyone local want to help out with that?. . .
So if you jack it up to the exact point of flopping... What will stop you from flopping it in the driveway ?

Better put a safety strap on it tied off to something real stout... LOL

Somehow... I have always been able to go by the seat of my pants feel in off camber situations... The variable stuff is the problem that gets into the mix and makes yer butt pucker from time to time...
Any time I get into that near flop feeling/situation... I just turn the wheel into the off camber direction (direction of proposed flop) and gas the biatch... Might save you... But you can expect other problems... ;) LOL

·
Registered
398 Posts
Revivalist said:

I think maybe you misunderstood the original post and the article I linked above. . . . I won't actually be rolling the truck. I only have to measue a few dimensions and take a few weights on a truck scale. . . . Then the roll-over angles can be calculated. . . . The whole point is to AVOID a roll-over on the trail in the future.
no i get it, i was just messing with ya :D

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Paying attention to some dash dealy sounds like a good way to flop your shit.
That crawler will get your ass in trouble fast if you aren't paying attention to whats going on around you- or so I assume ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TacoDell said:
So if you jack it up to the exact point of flopping... What will stop you from flopping it in the driveway ?
No, you don't need to jack up the truck to the points of flopping. . . .Check out the article. It explains the procedure very well. . .. YOu only need to lift the truck up a couple of feet. . . .

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm. . . . Well, any other ideas for lifting one end of the vehicle by the wheels to a height of a few feet off of the ground while having the rear on the truck scale?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Don't use two hi-lifts...I tried that when installing the lift I bought (from you as a matter of fact) and let's just say it almost sucked REALLY, REALLY bad. Other than that...just wheel until you almost flop it and then once you have that down, don't push it any further. Experience is better than a dash thingie with two sided tape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts