TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience using rear Jeep Cherokee Springs in the rear of a Toyota Pickup (84)? It should be an easy swap but I have two questions. What size Cherokee lift spring would I need to gain about 5" of lift on my Toyota? The second question is what am I forgetting about or where am I doing my math wrong?

Stock Cherokee springs have the following dimensions:
52.5" flat length, 23.5" front half, 29" rear half, 2.5" width

Compared to stock Toy springs:
48" flat length, 20.5" front half, 27.5 rear half, 2.36" width

I'm running longer shackles, which will be able to accommodate a longer total spring length. Plus, depending on the spring manufacturer, some Cherokee lift springs have a shorter flat length than stock. Ex. BDS 3" spring has a 48.625" length.

I should be able to massage my spring hangers and shackles .15" to accommodate the greater spring width, I can modify a u-bolt plate, and I can drill out the new springs to accept a Toyota style center pin which is thicker than a Cherokee pin. I still have to check the Toyota eye dimensions, but on a Cherokee, they are 2.5" front and 1.75" rear. I doubt the eye-hole size will match, but I figure I could sleeve the spring/hanger bolt or drill out the hanger, depending.

The advantages of running a Cherokee spring includes 3" gain in wheelbase, excellent resistance to axle wrap, good flex, I can use my stock spring hangers (unlike a Chevy swap) which means I can always swap back to stock Toyota springs in a pinch (this may be important as an insurance measure for some trips south of the boarder that I have been day dreaming about), and it's something you don't see every day.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ATLRoach said:
Find out the measurements eye to eye. I have seen YJ do this alot so there should be alot of info on springs.
Kyle just to clarify:

My understanding is that "eye to eye" is the straight line distance from the front eye to the rear eye. But I am not clear on the term "flat length". Would that be the equivalent of (1) the "eye to eye" measurement since that is essentially a flat measurement, (2) is it the measurement from eye to eye when the spring is compressed to the point that there is no longer an arch (positive or negative) in the spring, or (3) is flat length the measurement from eye to eye that follows the natural arch of the spring when not under a load?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Here is what i found:

Jeep Cherokee rear (4 leaf)
Flat Length: 52.5"
Front Half: 23.5"
Rear half: 29"
Width: 2.50"
Setup: SOA

Here is how to measure them:

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Ah, flat on their side. Now I get it....
Cool diagram too.

I've noticed the Rancho 44044 spring mentioned often; have to do a little research on that....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts