TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in the newbie section because everyone else seems to already know the answers :rolleyes: .
Which Chevys are the 63's coming off of? I hear 3/4 ton 1/2 ton, 2wd 4wd, and years 77 through 07!! Also, throwing those on a stock Taco is gonna lift the tail by how much?
I need to upgrade my leafs before AZ Rocks and might as well swap UP to the Chevys now :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Any fullsize 88-98.
3/4's come 4 + overload I believe, and 1/2's 3+ overload.
I think most run the top three leaves either way- with or without overload and ditch the bottom of the 4 off the 3/4's.
From what I can tell and what worked for me consensus seems to think front hanger up 7 5/8 works best on the Tacos. But you'll see anything from 7.5" - 7.75".

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
SgtMunger said:
I put this in the newbie section because everyone else seems to already know the answers :rolleyes: .
Which Chevys are the 63's coming off of? I hear 3/4 ton 1/2 ton, 2wd 4wd, and years 77 through 07!! Also, throwing those on a stock Taco is gonna lift the tail by how much?
I need to upgrade my leafs before AZ Rocks and might as well swap UP to the Chevys now :)
Just about any info you want is in that pirate FAQ. As far as how much lift you get, it will depend to a large extent on how much arch the springs have (which varies quite a bit because they're used when you get 'em). Expect anywhere from 3-5, with most being toward the upper end of that range.

·
Registered
741 Posts
synovus said:
Just about any info you want is in that pirate FAQ. As far as how much lift you get, it will depend to a large extent on how much arch the springs have (which varies quite a bit because they're used when you get 'em). Expect anywhere from 3-5, with most being toward the upper end of that range.
when i had them on my truck, it set level with a procomp up front and saws at about 2"

Austin

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm SAC'd on 35's w/ 44044 front and AllPro 5" rear but only about 4" above stock as everything has settled. I wanna swap to the Chevys rear, Deaver front, and sit at 5" to at the end. Seems like going AAL to get the tail there would kinda defeat the purpose: FLEX. I assume those of your runnin the AAL have removed the stock Chevy overload.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
SgtMunger said:
Well I'm SAC'd on 35's w/ 44044 front and AllPro 5" rear but only about 4" above stock as everything has settled. I wanna swap to the Chevys rear, Deaver front, and sit at 5" to at the end. Seems like going AAL to get the tail there would kinda defeat the purpose: FLEX. I assume those of your runnin the AAL have removed the stock Chevy overload.
I have the Rancho AAL on my chebbys and I don't think it hurt flex at all.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
SgtMunger said:
I'm running the Pro Comp long add-a-leaves, seems to flex just fine. I cut the rear half of the overloads off just leaving the front to help with wrap.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wes said:
Any fullsize 88-98.
3/4's come 4 + overload I believe, and 1/2's 3+ overload.
I think most run the top three leaves either way- with or without overload and ditch the bottom of the 4 off the 3/4's.
From what I can tell and what worked for me consensus seems to think front hanger up 7 5/8 works best on the Tacos. But you'll see anything from 7.5" - 7.75".
Wes has it right. I run 63' Chevy's from a 92 1/2 ton. I removed the overload leaf and the front hanger is 7.5" forward of the stock hanger point. As far as lift is concerned, I also replaced my rear shackles with some 3/8 x 2 1/2 flat stock. The mounting holes are at 5 1/2" center to center. I could have and should have gone 4 1/2". This setup gave me about 4 1/2" on lift ing the rear. So I'm sittin a little ass end high right now. I'm running some SAW's 2.0's upfront and they are cranked up to 2 1/2". It will also depend on the condition of the springs obviously. I also run a 4 degree wedge to get the pinion angle better.

I like them so far. Loads of flex, and they can drop a long way. I also run Bilstien 5125's. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim, yur runnin the AAL and the stock overload leaf with a 3 leaf primary pack? Whats yor lift equate to?

Mike, do you have a pic to illustrate?

RotNRob, your just runnin the 3 leaf primarty with no overload or AAL?

I ordered BudBuilts hangers today, and I hope to go pickin through the boneyard tommorrow :)
Thanks for the information guys, this is the good stuff I couldnt find in the FAQ's.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'm running the same aal Mike is, Summit Racing part number EXP-13124. I have it in the 2wd 3 leaf pack minus the overload. I've found that it didn't hurt my flex at all either when i added this long aal. The truck needed a long shackle to make it sit level but so be it.
I also used budbuilt hangers, moved 7.75" forward was best for me.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
SgtMunger said:
He might have a pic, but in the time being just imagine the overload in there, and chop off the back half of it at or about the perch.
I did it on his suggestion and its ok... I can't quantify how much it really helps with wrap, but its a solid 3/4 block at least with the added benefit of helping with extreme wrap at the very least.

·
Registered
281 Posts
SgtMunger said:
Tim, yur runnin the AAL and the stock overload leaf with a 3 leaf primary pack? Whats yor lift equate to?

RotNRob, your just runnin the 3 leaf primarty with no overload or AAL?

I ordered BudBuilts hangers today, and I hope to go pickin through the boneyard tommorrow :)
Thanks for the information guys, this is the good stuff I couldnt find in the FAQ's.
Yep. I don't carry heavy loads very often, so it rides much better. I ran the springs with the overloads for a while and it was a harsh ride and sat really high (almost 3" higher than the front). By pulling out the overload leaf is softened them up a little and also lowered the back end a bit. Also, these a three leaf pack out of a 1/2 ton Chevy. My taco is obviously a bit lighter than a full size Chevy, so Im not too worried about over loading them. I just need to get some bump stops fabed up and installed to prevent reversarching.

Edit; Keep in mind, I'm still IFS. So, I am not sitting as high as Wes or Mike or even you. Just thought I should make sure you knew that. :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob, whats your lift above stock?

Wes, thanks man. I can picture the AAL cut, just wanted to get some pics going of 63's mounted up with different configurations to note how much lift is happening so I can caculate what I'll need to get my 5 1/2". This seems to be one of the easiest mods with the least accurate vehicle specific info :cool: . IE: The PBB mentioned having to cut the leafs to fit the u-bolts, but doesnt specify what year Toy (I assume 1st gen trucks). If nothing else this thread might serve as an easy to find suppliment to the existing FAQ. :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another option I hadnt thought of earlier, to get 1 1/2" outta the front would be to AAL my 44044's and cut em down as needed to get my desired effect? Or am I smokin crack? :xcrazy:
My thought is I only have 1" to my bumpstops in the front anyway so I'm not too worried about limiting my UP travel.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
SgtMunger said:

picture the AAL cut, QUOTE]

Overload cut.
With the Chevy's, overload (cut back half) and 8" eye to eye shackle I'm right around 25" dead ass empty at 2" in front of the rear body mount; no aal. But keep in mind I'm ass high (~24" behind front body mount). I am pretty sure stock frame is around 15", but I don't know if thats with them ass high, in the front, or the back, etc. Chevy's will fit in a flipped set just fine because of the way the U-bolts run (seems like the bolt pattern on the flip plates is a little wider than toy anyways or easy to gnaw out a little; Chevy's 3" wide, Tacoma 2.75"?). Shouldn't have to cut leafs- and with as much weight as I saw you had with that generator, not sure you'd want to ;) Also keep in mind at least half? of the lift a chevy gives you is from the lower front mounting position on the frame so if you could notch and box the frame you could lose some height there if you needed to. Stock shackle and no overload I think I would be around 22" so thats close to your 5.5" target- if I read that right.
Sorry I looked I don't have pics, maybe someone else does.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm already at 22" and it sits where it did when I had the ProComp 4" w/ IFS.

But naw, I mean to get that lift in the front. I'm cozy with how to get the rear up, I just wanna do the front too without having to drop some serious coin on Deavers. But I'm not finding anything on AAL for the 44044's. Am I stuck with changing my front springs too? :mad:

·
Registered
281 Posts
SgtMunger said:

Went out to click some pics for ya. I measure from just behind the front body mount to the bottom of the frame and I'm at 18 3/4" front. From just behind the rear body mount I'm sitting @ 20". So, I think I'm like 3" above stock up front and about 4 - 4 1/2" in back.

Here is a shot my shackle and U bolt set up. I did not have any problems or any need to trim the leafs. Just bolted up.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, thanks Rob. Looks like I'll have to do the AAL in the rear on mine. If it makes it too tall I'll just start hacking off the back of the AAL till it drops to my desired level :)
For the front I might try to pull 2 leafs from the bottom of the 44044's, drop an AAL and hack it up till it does what I want. If that doesnt work I'll be picking up the phone and saying "Hello, Deaver Springs?" and have to drop about 5 or 6 bills :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts