TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, I saw a mod wherein Chevy recovery hooks were modified to replace the stock Tacoma hooks. I believe the poster was Dick Foster. Unfortunately, he didn't specify a part # or from which year and model of Chevy the hooks were originally for. I went to my local Chevy dealer and they have several different recovery hook part numbers. Any idea as to which Chevy hooks I would need for my 2003 Double Cab?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd say check out www.ttora-ne.com, if it was up and running. But, a quick search turned this up from Mr. Foster:
"That was one of my writeups. PM me with your Email and I'll sent it to you if you want it. Maybe just the pics but that is really all you need to do it. It will vary as to model year somewhat due to changes in the front bumper valence variaiations. The write up I did was for the early models but it would be much the same for any model. As I recall there is a pic with a tape measure so you could do a littlp preplanning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got two in my garage...

When I used to have my Tacoma, and I worked at a Chevrolet Dealer, and I heard of this mod (way back in the day), I bought two hooks, but I never installed them. I just looked in the garage, and they are GM#15661183 and 15661184. I don't know if they will fit your '03, but I don't need them anymore. Where are you located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
offroadkid said:
When I used to have my Tacoma, and I worked at a Chevrolet Dealer, and I heard of this mod (way back in the day), I bought two hooks, but I never installed them. I just looked in the garage, and they are GM#15661183 and 15661184. I don't know if they will fit your '03, but I don't need them anymore. Where are you located?
Chino Hills, Calif. Do you have an email address?

·
Registered
7 Posts
WARNING, the chevy tow hooks (like most things on a GM vehicle) are very cheap. My buddy broke both on his silverado yankin' me out of a hole.

·
Registered
279 Posts
StepsideTaco said:
WARNING, the chevy tow hooks (like most things on a GM vehicle) are very cheap. My buddy broke both on his silverado yankin' me out of a hole.
Don't know about that. I had a Tahoe that tugged stuck people out many, many times. I ain't talking about none of that ease em out crap either, I'm talking about slam it in reverse and yank kind a tug. The tow hooks for the mod are from 88-98 full size trucks I believe. The newer style hooks are weaker, from 99-present, what year is your buddy's?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I actually saved the writeup of the chevy tow hook mod onto my computer (from the NE-TORRA... by Dick Foster) pictures and all... If there was a way to post the file here, I would... anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to avoid re-hosting the pictures, and making a complete new post in here...

If any of you guys want me to email it to you cause you can't wait *wink*, PM me!

Also - since the bolt pattern for the Chevy hooks is larger than the toyota pattern.. it requires welding over the existing hole, filing it flat, and drilling and tapping a new one... any ideas how this could be reasonably done without a welder at hand? Thats the one thing i'm lacking...

If not, anyone in Ohio in the Cincinnati area be up for helping me out on this one?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i agree ive saw a lot of gm tow hooks bent in half and snap but it depends on which ones you use the ones on the new blazers i know are not worth the metal they are made with

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Rabble Rouser said:
A while back, I saw a mod wherein Chevy recovery hooks were modified to replace the stock Tacoma hooks. I believe the poster was Dick Foster. Unfortunately, he didn't specify a part # or from which year and model of Chevy the hooks were originally for. I went to my local Chevy dealer and they have several different recovery hook part numbers. Any idea as to which Chevy hooks I would need for my 2003 Double Cab?
Is there anything wrong with the stock recovery hooks in the front? While I was installing my light bar, the hook seemed pretty thick and durable. I think they would stand up to "snatching". Anyone agree / disagree?

·
Registered
318 Posts
my hook is bent, i believe this happened when i was stuck in a nasty hole and it took a samurai and an explorer to pull me out.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
For one thing the one hook is too damn small and will poke a hole in a perfectly good recovery strap. for another it's hard to get too and gravity wants to let the loop in the strap fall off. If you're doing any kind of yank with the recovery, the fact that the strap can fall off between yanks is a bad thing. If you want to wheel, you will need to make some investment in your truck. One of the first of those investments is to ensure that you have adequate recovery points front and rear. The next is recovery and safety gear of your own. At the very top of the recovery gear list is a good recovery strap, then comes a hi lift, etc. Safety gear should include a first aid kit, fire extinguishers etc. If you are going to wheel your truck, do those things now. If you don't you'll just be a PITA for eveyone you wheel with. For a lot of our runs, you are just not allowed to go without them. Else you'll be left in the woods. LOL

·
Registered
670 Posts
Anybody have a Pic of the Chevy Tow Hook Mod on there Rig?

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Dick-What year chevy were your hooks intended for?

Offroadkid-same question; do you recall a year to go with that part number?

thanks,
Ian

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Sorry I don't recall. Ask about something for their larger trucks or a Suburban. It was a long time ago and I have a Bent Up bumper now so they went bye bye when the bumper went on.

·
Registered
707 Posts
88 to 98 fullsize 4x4 chevys. They're found on damn near all of them. They're one of the better factory recovery hooks, but that still didn't keep me from bending the hell out of them. I'll stick with shackles - they flop out of the way when you smack something.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts