TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y'all-
I am going up to estes park this weekend and wanted to see if any of you had advice for things to do up there?
My gal and I are not really skiers but were thinking of going snowshoeing and perhaps renting snow mobiles. We like outdoorsy stuff but are also looking for places to go/things to do during those cold and bitter nights. (insert lame dirty joke here)...
Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
898 Posts
hey will, its friggin beautiful up there. my lady friend has a cabin we frequent.

the must do's:
The Stanley Hotel (creepy and legendary)
Rocky Mtn National Park (beautiful this time of year, good snowshoeing)
The Donut Hause (best donuts in the world, go EARLY, they close when they sell out)
Estes Lake is pretty, but its pretty damn cold these days too.

Im sure Avsfreak, the true local estesite, will chime in soon.

·
Registered
898 Posts
haha. no this is my actual lady. moms are for the side, they never want to commit.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hey Willie, I'll give you twenty bucks if you can hop on an elk and stay on for 8 seconds!
Seriously though, The Stanley is cool. But you have to actually buy the tour to see the cool stuff. I'm sure it's worth it.
I've always been disappointed in the brewery up there. They have good beers, and they'll give you plenty of free samples, but it's not very presentable. It's kind of a dump, actually.
Henry, isn't there a sort of gondola in Estes that takes you way up the mountain?

·
Registered
898 Posts
yeah, there is jeremy, but its closed right now. looks sweet for the nice weather though.

http://www.estestram.com/index.html

Good places to grub:

Molly B's. Best breakfast ever.
Penelope's sandwich shop on the main drag. nothin fancy by any means, but good food.

·
Registered
898 Posts
hardy har troy. ive never had a molly h breakfast. might just have to get down on that one.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
There was a real good little Italian place in Estes, too. I think it was called the Sweet Pepper or the Something Cucina, or the Something Tomato, or something vaguely Italian like that. Used to be located on your right as you come into downtown on 34, right past the McDonalds. It was a cool, tiny little Italian joint with great food and awesome lunch deals. I've been told it's relocated but I can neither confirm nor deny that.
...I'm not a lot of help, am I?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
well, this time of year EP is LAMO!
Lonnagins (sp?) and the Wheel bars are a must.
the Brewery is a great local hangout. :xbeer3:
Steve at the Bowling alley keeps it open late for moonlight bowling on saturday nights. Im going to be there this week for sure.
downtown shops can kill an afternoon if you arent a local immune to cheap shit. :jack:
the park is great. dont waste your time looking for the elk there though...they are on the golf course (not the nine hole except in passing, the 18 hole has a much more stable elk heard)
Ghosts at the stanley if you are into that sort of stuff.
I think Sombrero still does trail rides this time of year...not sure if Rocky Mountain Gateway does.:confused:
The tram is closed this time of year so dont count on that.
Break into the Giant Slide after dark and slide, just go around the fence near the bridge...bring your own carpets to slide on. if you get caught I used to work there and can get you out of jail no prob. I run the go kart track now (second summer job) :D
ONE THING YOU MUST DO: Eat at sweet basilico. Raul is a great cook! http://www.sweetbasilico.com/

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Willie, I'll give you twenty bucks if you can hop on an elk and stay on for 8 seconds!
I'm not much for roping and riding but if I can bring some boys up from San Antonio perhaps they can show you something...

Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Meal I had at Sweet Basillicos sucked. Not sure if it was a bad day or what. Crappy food and service when I was there. I like Village Pizza and Ed's Cantina. As for snowshoeing, I was up there today doing just that. Rent at the Mountain Shop as you come into town by the dam.

Rocky is always good for the scenery. And maybe stop in to Valley of the Winds tasting room for good colorado wines. I go in often enough they know me almost by name.

Any particulars, ask away, been vacationing up there since I was 2.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Village Pizza rocks. And showshoeing is a must this time of year up there.
Yeah, on the way back down saturday from Bear Lake area, came around a corner and there were cars backed up a ways, then finally saw a female moose and a couple youngings of hers right on/next to the road. Awsome sight. First time I've seen moose on thie side of the park. Then you got the tourons that are standing like 4 feet away from her. Friggen morons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts