TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just got all the steel for my front bumper so now im ready to start building it. the one thing im confused about though is using my chopsaw to notch the pipe. the only info i found was this link on pirate.http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Links. how do i know what degree to make the notch at on both sides? ill be using 1 1/2 pipe if that matters.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It says it somewhere in that post but I believe it's 26 degrees.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I've been doing a small amount of chop saw notching lately. The angle of the notch all depends on how the tubes are fitting together, the shape of the bumper, what direction the tubes are going, etc. Basically I just eyeball it because there is no angle that will work every time. Its not the best method maybe but I just hold the tube/pipe in one hand and start cutting at the angle that looks close. I usually have to grind it a bit or even hit it with the saw agian to get it right.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Yeah I have used the eyeball method myself, but it sucks if you have a lot to do. I would suggest no more than what a tube notcher at Harbor Freight costs, I would just pick one up and call it good, just the time and possible injury it saves it is worth it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
thehackman15 said:
hey guys i just got all the steel for my front bumper so now im ready to start building it. the one thing im confused about though is using my chopsaw to notch the pipe. the only info i found was this link on pirate.http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Links. how do i know what degree to make the notch at on both sides? ill be using 1 1/2 pipe if that matters.
There is some pretty basic info that I liked on this link too:
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456800

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im not gonna waste my money on a harbor freight notcher. i have read of tons of people notching tube/pipe with chop saws so i would rather just go that route now and not spend more money.im just curious how they do it or where they got their info from

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
When I did my sliders, me and Anthony used his notcher. Make it much easier to weld.

But on the spacer pieces, I could only notch one side. The other side I cut out as much as I could with a bandsaw, then took a grinder to it.

Took a day to get all the spacer pieces notches out and ready to go.....

F that!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
NorcalPR said:
When I did my sliders, me and Anthony used his notcher. Make it much easier to weld.

But on the spacer pieces, I could only notch one side. The other side I cut out as much as I could with a bandsaw, then took a grinder to it.

Took a day to get all the spacer pieces notches out and ready to go.....

F that!
yeah them little spacer pieces are a bitch, i just notch all the way through the tubing it is about the only time i do use my notcher though, Chop saw notching is so much faster once you get the hang of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts