TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I figure mine will end up like that after I roll it. I like the style.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just figured lose some weight off the top and back. And Im prolly goin with tube doors as well

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

red is the exo, green is the tube door, and yellow (INTERIOR) is the spare mount/X for cage support.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i like body, but if keep denting sheetmetal and just wanna tube it....... looks good. maybe bend some curved bends instead of all straight tube.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Yeah - that rear glass gets expensive huh?!?!?

I would recommend some kind of canvas top over the cut section. Check out at boat dealers/marinas for people who do good custom canvas work. It probably won't be totally weather tight, but a lot better than nothing. Ask DougTRD about wheeling a first gen 4Runner without the top in the rain...

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha yea, somebody sent me a link a long time ago for custom canvas tops. Im actually thinking if its done right you could weld a flange around the top and runner where it was cut and make the factory top removable. The only problem I see is having a hatch instead of a tailgate like the 1st and 2nd gens.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh and there isnt a straight piece of sheet metal anywhere on it. And the glass does get expensive.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know of a way to make a canvas top that the rear window could roll up into.

the yellow is the frame layed down and it just swings up with pins and such just like boats.

it'd be the shit and so easy if a top could be made that the rear window rolls up into. Or if it were removable hard top, I could have a soft top that will just fit flat across the back and up.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
94runner said:
i like body, but if keep denting sheetmetal and just wanna tube it....... looks good. maybe bend some curved bends instead of all straight tube.
all the jagged bends would be actual bends, I just did this with windows paint. And from the front all the side stuff would be bent according to the contour of the body.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
You could have the rear hoop have a groove in it for the rear window, but I would just have canvas that snapped around the edge you cut (so the profile with the top on would be the same as with it off)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if I did just cut the top off and trash it, the canvas would be made to the same profile as the original top

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill tell you what Im thinking of doing is getting a donor out of a junkyard and practicing on it before I do mine. Once you start cutting into it wont go back ya know.

or we could practice on Mollys....

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm thinking that "practice" is an understatement depending on what you're looking to get out of the finished product. Being able to roll up the window into a home-brew canvas top without lots of leakage and such will be a challenge. On the other hand, it sounds like you're moving further toward the trailer queen area, so it may not be as much of an issue. I've never let the DD factor drag me down, so I say go for it and see what turns out. :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea I could give two shits about it being a dd. Ive got a pickup for that. And as for leaks, I would bet that with no top it would get less water in than it does now. But the canvas top that the rear window could roll up into would be the shit.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the one thing holding me back from certain things is its so nice to camp in it

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I just saw a chop top yesterday. Unfortunately by the end of the day there was nothing left of it.

Bring that thing out to NorCal and the NorCal demo crew can have that top off of it during lunch.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts