TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would honestly be surprised if this was not a repost, but I can't find a related post.

Is there a company that imports 25+ year old Toyota 4x4's? Namely the Landcruiser 70 series and the Hilux. I feel like everywhere I look, I find vintage, imported Land Rovers and Mercedes, but for some reason two of the most capable off road vehicles on earth are nowhere to be found in the states.

The LC70 is one of the only vehicles to make it across the Sahara with no malfunctions, and the hilux is the epitome of a durable vehicle. So is there something stopping people from importing them, such as a specific regulation, or law? I feel like there should be a large market in the US for them.

Is there a company that specializes in imports such as these? If not, why? I am strongly considering creating the company myself if there isn't some massive restriction that cripples the idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This might intrest you... http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4003178124.html

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
I appreciate the add, but the LC60's were sold in the US, so they are easy to find and common to import. I'm referring to the 70 series. For some reason they are nowhere to be found, despite being over 25 years old, and being one of the greatest off road vehicles of all time. The 4 door hilux is now over 25 years old as well. This means that the two undisputed, world champions of off road have been available in the states for a couple years, but no one has imported them. People import LR90/110 all the time, but not the toyotas, which are proven, more reliable and capable. Something must be holding them back and I would really like to find out what that is before I spend a small fortune trying to import one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The U.S. saftey and emission standards are pretty rediculous. I know that the only way to bring a lot of vehicles back into the states is in a box or piece by piece. :saw::welder: It doesn't seem like it's worth the money or hassle. Or you can pay a small fortune to have it brought to DOT and EPA standards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was under the impression that a 25+ year old vehicle does not have to comply to those standards. The hassle to bring a <24 year old back is outrageous, but everything I have read says that anything older should be about as easy as taking your luggage. I must be missing something. Otherwise I feel like these would be everywhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That add at least shows that it's possible to import. I'm going to ask around to see if there would be a market here. If there is, I will start importing them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts