TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I cleaned my throttle body and butterfly and it was dirty! It's been a while since the last time I cleaned it and it had a slight hesitation on take off.
Anyway, before I did any of it I removed my positive cable as always and reconnected when I was done so it would reset the computer and so on. It was hard starting the first time and I let it run a while and then drove about 5 miles just to give it some dry out time. It ran alright and better than it was but not as good as I would have liked. Today I looked under the hood and noticed that the hose leading from the Charcoal Canister to the air box was disconnected at the Canister. I reconnected it and went for a ride...It runs like a new truck now! Plenty of power and pick up and it even shifts smoother.
Was this due to the hose being reconnected or just due to it sitting over night after cleaning??? Sorry for being so long winded, Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one on here has an answer to this????

·
Registered
947 Posts
Mike-in-WV said:
No one on here has an answer to this????
Its easy, just disconnect that same hose... go for a drive.... If it runs the same, you will know it was the drying time that helped it. However, if it runs like crap again, you will know it was the hose issue & not the fact that you let it dry out..

·
Registered
772 Posts
Maybe you let it warmup too long. ;) jk...

You probably had a vacuum leak of some sort while that hose was disconnected. Good job on fixing it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Yea, Maybe I did let it warm up to long! :D Thanks for the replies and the ideas. I just thought that maybe someone else had this happen to them and they know what the answer is. Disconecting the hose now may not give me a true idea as to what happened but I'll keep it in mind next time I clean the throttle body. Thanks guy's, Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned both several times before. I use carb and choke cleaner on the throttle body and butterfly and electrical contact cleaner on the sensor(Diodes) and the contacts (wiring harness).
Held the choke open and sprayed it several times and got some brown stuff running out. Once it came out clean I wiped it dry with a clean cotton rag. Cleaned the tubes leading to it from the air box also but only on the firewall side of the sensor. Wiped out the air box and checked that small triangle shaped box just on the other side on the sensor and it was clean inside.
I was surprised at how dirty the throttle body was because I keep the engine spotless clean and the filter changed about every 2-3,000 Miles. I do spend alot of time off road though. Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shakerhood said:
Just a Tip, make sure you Disconnect the Negative Battery Cable when you want to unhook the Battery.
That's a new one to me??? I was always told to disconnect either cable, it didn't matter which one even though I always disconnect the positive.Never had a problem in all these years. Was I just lucky?
What's the reason for using the negative only? Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Removing the Neg. (-) cable first reduces the chance of creating a short circuit. Once the Neg. cable is disconnected swinging a wrench on the positive cable and accidentally contacing anyting metal won't make sparks. When the Neg cable is connected the entire chassis of the vehicle, which is un-insulated, provides the return path of the circuit, could potentially carry current.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Larry. That makes sense , guess I have always just been careful about where I place the + cable once I disconnect it. Good idea on the - side though, Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shakerhood said:
I wasnt trying to rip you on how you work on your Truck, I just wanted to point out a safety issue!
Oh I never thought you were trying to do anything but help and I'm always glad for a tip like that. I'm not rich and If I were to do something to screw up my computer on my 01 I would be screwed! Better safe than sorry. Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Mike-in-WV
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing