TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok this might be too simple or obvious but here goes.

95-04 Toyota Tacomas come stock with 16 or 17 inch wiper blades. For better windshield coverage you can fit up to a 19 inch on the Driver's side and up to 18 inch on the passenger side. Of course the first time you do this you obviously have to buy the blade rather than just the insert.

Not real exciting I know... :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey man...that's cool. I'm going to do this since my stock ones are rusting and I was going to replace them anyways :mad:. Hmm...who makes the best wiper blade arm thingies? (as if it matters, lol)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JonnyOzero3 said:
Hey man...that's cool. I'm going to do this since my stock ones are rusting and I was going to replace them anyways :mad:. Hmm...who makes the best wiper blade arm thingies? (as if it matters, lol)
Yeah, I dunno. I just went with the Anco blades cuz you can get the Anco inserts about anywhere. I don't know if any of the brands are any better than any other. I've heard some say that silicone inserts last longer but I never tried them. I've also heard that rain-x on the windshield makes the inserts wear out faster.

I just use Anco and replace them when they quit working.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sweet I need to replace mine anyway. I'll give it a try

·
Registered
460 Posts
rain-x and wiper blades do a similar job. using ur wiper blades with rain-x will slowly remove the rain-x from ur windshield and slowly wear out ur wipers a tad bit faster. i use rain-x and it usally works great and hardly ever need wipers anymore.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Good idea about the longer wipers. It's actually raining here today...Time to mud up this weekend!! If I don't have any rainX, I will wax the windshield. It doesn't last quite as long as the rainx, but it works well, and I don't think it will load up the wipers as much as rainx. I believe that is the wiper issue with the stuff; it is a thicker coating on the window, and it catches gunk on the wiper blades. I hear a rag dragged across the blades can actually clean them... I might try it someday.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rain-X has washer fluid with the rain-x wax in it. I've been using the stuff for about 3 years now. It's great, I don't need to apply Rain-X anymore. I haven't noticed any "extra" wear on my Bosch blades. They aren't that expensive so they get replaced yearly anyway. Rain-x also has wiper blades out. I have them on my wife's van and they seem to work great also.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
A buddy of mine worked at a body shop, and when they would detail the cars on the way out, they would use steel wool on the glass to remove any grim that was built up on them. Use plently of soap and water, and fine steel wool. I do this about once a year, and compared to windows without this, mine are very clear, and have not gotten dull. It's not like you really work the window; just a quick once over sort of thing. I usually do it after a mudding trip when there has been lots of dirt on the window, or after a the roads have dried after a big snow storm (the cinder dust straches the window a bit, and the steel wool seems to remove them).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
taco23 said:
Hey, Flatland, I just replaced my wipers with 18s on both sides, but on the passenger side the wiper hits the moulding. Did you have this problem? I've got a '99 as well.
No, I used an Anco 18" on the passenger side and it clears the moulding by 1/4".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Something to consider...I bought a set of PIAA silicone blades from Performance Products two years ago and still haven't replaced them. I live in NY so my wipers get a decent workout in the winter time. They come with a silicone wipe for each blade and you just apply it to the window. Anyways, they still work great, water still beads up and blows away while I'm driving and I've never applied Rain-X. It takes a little while to get 'em going now after some use cuz they will leave a little moisture on the windshield but after about 5-10 minutes of using them it wipes completely clear.
Just my .02

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another glass cleaning tip is to use newspaper to dry the glass. Works 100x better than paper towels or rags; no streaks and no lint. Just be sure to keep using new pieces of paper as it gets saturated. Works best with the aerosal foaming glass cleaner.

Thanks for the wiper tip!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts