TTORA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, need som help here...
the OEM aluminum wheels on my '02 tacoma are looking really crappy; a combination of brake dust, dirt, and winter road salt have really done a job on them. i've tried simple green and similar but it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. any ideas on what the best way to *thoroughly* clean them is?

here are some pics:
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tacoma/DSCN0662_sm.jpg
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tacoma/DSCN0663_sm.jpg
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tacoma/DSCN0664_sm.jpg
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tacoma/DSCN0667_sm.jpg

thanks for any suggestions!

wrooster
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Did you use some sort of a scrub brush to clean them with the Simple green, Or are they oxidized enough that you wont be able to get them clean?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
wrooster said:
guys, need som help here...
the OEM aluminum wheels on my '02 tacoma are looking really crappy; a combination of brake dust, dirt, and winter road salt have really done a job on them. i've tried simple green and similar but it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. any ideas on what the best way to *thoroughly* clean them is?

here are some pics:
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tacoma/DSCN0662_sm.jpg
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tacoma/DSCN0663_sm.jpg
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tacoma/DSCN0664_sm.jpg
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tacoma/DSCN0667_sm.jpg

thanks for any suggestions!

wrooster
Wow.. pressure wash them, Don't use simple green on alluminum- it will eat it. Try a wheel cleaning solution you can get at any autoparts store. If that doesn't work, there is alloy polish, but I don't know how well it would work on the rough texture of the those wheels...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
StemsCornfedTaco said:
Did you use some sort of a scrub brush to clean them with the Simple green, Or are they oxidized enough that you wont be able to get them clean?
i haven't really gone at them with a stiff brush. they are not oxidized, just have this black/gray junk on them.

thanks for any ideas. i'll head to the auto parts store and see what they have.

wrooster
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Cat piss seems to knock the brake dust and crap off my wheels, and all the neighbor cats seem to be fanatical about keeping them clean for me.
If you dont want to go that route I'd second Mothers Mag and Aluminium polish, or Never Dull.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Cat piss seems to knock the brake dust and crap off my wheels, and all the neighbor cats seem to be fanatical about keeping them clean for me.
If you dont want to go that route I'd second Mothers Mag and Aluminium polish, or Never Dull.

Tim
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
I use NEVR DULL on my wheels, seems to do the job, I wash them with Simple Green, it doesnt seem to hurt them any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
Arent's these wheels painted alloy's??? If that's the case then aluminum polish isn't going to do anything for you. You'll probably need to treat them like any other painted surface on your truck... Try some rubbing compound
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Mine looked like that a couple days ago. I took a soft bristle brush and simple green to it. They look showroom clean now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
SIMPLE GREEN to the Rescue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I use Eagle 1 aluminum wheel cleaner, and that gets the brake dust off very easily. Use a soft brush and scrub in circles, that always seems to be the magic key..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
wrooster said:
guys, need som help here...
the OEM aluminum wheels on my '02 tacoma are looking really crappy; a combination of brake dust, dirt, and winter road salt have really done a job on them. i've tried simple green and similar but it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. any ideas on what the best way to *thoroughly* clean them is?
I got the same rims. I use Nevr-dull to clean/shine, and then throw two
coats of Zymol wax on them. Makes them easier to clean next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
I cleaned mine up this weekend. I took one of those sponges that clean dishes, with the yellow and green side, just gave it elbow grease and a lot of soap and they look great.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
Yep, I use a big sponge, and the nice thing about it is it conforms to the wheels surface and gets in any countours or cracks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
I wouldn't recommend this for your wheels, but if you want to kill a Saturday, get some buffer bobs for your die grinder and some 1500 grit buffing compound or alloy rubbing compound. You can make a raw metal wheel look like a mirror.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top