TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried cleaning/rejuvenating there aluminum wheels with abrasives/polishers on some sort of 1/4 inch polishing/fabric type wheel that can be inserted in a 1/4 inch drill ?
Mothers, have a kit for this, but I have no intention of paying $60.00 for polishing wheels and wax, that would be stupid unless you are into showing in competition.
This should be a straight forward procedure with appropriate buffing wheels and corresponding finishes, such as scratch remover, polisher, and wax, that can be used in any 1/4 inch drill.
Bottom line question: Who makes "Cheap" scratch removing/polishing wheels for 1/4 inch drills?
Compounds for scratch removal and polishing metal of any kind has been around for a 1000 years or more.
Changeling
PS. Text is Copy protected, use without original reference is considered, CRUDE! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone tried cleaning/rejuvenating there aluminum wheels with abrasives/polishers on some sort of 1/4 inch polishing/fabric type wheel that can be inserted in a 1/4 inch drill ?
Mothers, have a kit for this, but I have no intention of paying $60.00 for polishing wheels and wax, that would be stupid unless you are into showing in competition.
This should be a straight forward procedure with appropriate buffing wheels and corresponding finishes, such as scratch remover, polisher, and wax, that can be used in any 1/4 inch drill.
Bottom line question: Who makes "Cheap" scratch removing/polishing wheels for 1/4 inch drills?
Compounds for scratch removal and polishing metal of any kind has been around for a 1000 years or more.
Changeling
PS. Text is Copy protected, use without original reference is considered, CRUDE! :D

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
even the ones ive seen redone at body shops dont really look as good as new and they charge an arm and a leg around here. i had scratches and corrosion on mine and it would have been way too freaking labour intensive to redo each rim myself. for 70$$ worth of rattle cans i had wicked looking painted rims. shits been pretty tough so far too.
just another option.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have used Mothers and found that they are just as good as eagle one rim cleaning. Just some good ole' sweat and tears do the best.

·
Registered
60 Posts
First of all what the hell does this gay statement mean?(PS. Text is Copy protected, use without original reference is considered, CRUDE!)

Secondly you can remove scratches and polish the aluminum all at the same time by using various grades of sandpaper. Start out at 800 grit, and work you way towards wet sanding with 1500-2000 Grit. Once this step is complete you can use Jewelers Rouge which is available in varying grades Black being a rough cut grade, White being the final finish cut polishing grade.

Some catalogs will offer Buffing Kits, but I'm sure there more than $60...You can also use 3mm Scothbrite Fiber sanding discs to remove the deep scratches, then to remove the swirl marks you can hand sand with varying grades.

Problem with just removing scratches is that most repairs will leave that general area much shinier than the rest of the rim.

·
Registered
148 Posts
why do you want to remove the scratches? your just going to end up doing it on the trail agian or in the mall.........

·
Registered
456 Posts
KTM300EXC said:
First of all what the hell does this gay statement mean?(PS. Text is Copy protected, use without original reference is considered, CRUDE!)
Mentally Changeled said:
PS. Text is Copy protected, use without original reference is considered, SEXY! and I like black rubber boots! :D
I think he was worried about something like this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I asked the question. No, I'm not gay/fag/homo!
How you got all that out of a remark meant to be kinda funny is astounding! I think however, that the most astounding thing is you all seem to have "homosexuality on your minds"! It must be frustrating for all of you to hide such desires behind you with "Hate" attacks on innocent "straight" people, asking innocent questions.
I bet your parents would be really proud to see how much you have matured.

Changeling

·
Registered
456 Posts
The homosexuality refrence from wsly was to imply that you are gay, not him. He is just having fun with you, let it roll off your back it really is all in good fun ya queer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
wslytoy said:
you're a fucking fag......
You guys are really something else. Can't you just answer the guy's question? Who cares if he doesn't 'wheel hard?

Good luck with getting the scratches out changeling

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did...

He can either go the Sand Paper route by hand, finishing the job up with Spiral Sewn and other Buffing wheels which can be bought with 1/4 arbors/shanks. Look at Eastwwood for a large assortment of Buffing wheels and various shaped buffing cones.

Or he could try a little sanding of the scratched area with a 2" 3mm Scotchbrite Fiber Pad used in conjunction with a die grinder, then wet sand to remove all scratches and imperfections of the area, and finish with a Jewelers Rouge or Mothers Aluminum polish.

Then theres that Buff Ball that Foose does commercials for, it wont remove scratches but will polish the aluminum.

The thing with Aluminum and polishing it/removing scratches is your final finish is highly dependent of removing any and all scratches and imperfections in the metal, as well as having a surface that is smooth and level. Light will refract differently off of wavy surfaces.

So remove Scratches with Die Grinders or Dremel tools and attachments, or Hand Sand Scratches with Sand Paper(800-1500), then use any one of the million of polishes out there....

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
rijrunr said:
You guys are really something else. Can't you just answer the guy's question? Who cares if he doesn't 'wheel hard?

Good luck with getting the scratches out changeling

Its a joke man, he posted like 4 times.... Get the sand outta your panties :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
or he could just paint em?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I could expound for a longtime on the undeserved attacks, but with the help, combined with the education level, I believe it would be better if I found a forum with less aggressive behavior in asking simple questions, and getting answers, or at least instructions on the course to follow where people are more involved with human behavior and the problems at hand/questions.

PS. rijrunr, thanks, for the attempt, these "individuals" however are in a bed of there own making ! :rolleyes:
Changeling

·
Registered
773 Posts
Changeling said:
I guess I could expound for a longtime on the undeserved attacks, but with the help, combined with the education level, I believe it would be better if I found a forum with less aggressive behavior in asking simple questions, and getting answers, or at least instructions on the course to follow where people are more involved with human behavior and the problems at hand/questions.

PS. rijrunr, thanks, for the attempt, these "individuals" however are in a bed of there own making ! :rolleyes:
Changeling
Go find another forum. We won't miss your strange posts. I hear tundrasolutions is taking applications..

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Changeling said:
Changeling
Rustoleum black 'hammered' or powder coated. (black) :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts