TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When: October 7-8
Where: Big Bear: Cleghorn Ridge Trail, Pilot Rock Trail

Meeting spot 1: Depart Oct 7 at 10am from McDonalds at 528 Grand Ave, Walnut, CA 91789. RSVP if you want to meet here.
Meeting spot 2: Meet at a gas station by Bass Pro (or at Bass Pro) TBD. Depart 11am. RSVP if you want to meet here.

Arrive at Cleghorn Rd, air down or disconnect, start wheeling at 11:30.
Cleghorn is an easy road, passable by most 2wd trucks. However there are many moderate to difficult offshoots that parallel the road. If raining, trail will become muddy. I expect 3 hours at most to complete this trail, plus lunch along trail. Complete around 3pm at Silverwood Lake.

At this time people can leave or continue on.

Proceed to Pilot Rock Truck Trail, which is just on other side of Silverwood Lake. I have never been on Pilot Rock Road, but it is rated "moderate". It appears there are some offshoots that parallel the road similar to Cleghorn. Expect about 2 hours to complete this trail. Finish time around 5pm near Lake Arrowhead. Note that we are doing the entire trail. (Book by Charles Wells only does half). We will also stop and take photos at Pilot Rock, which looks pretty cool.

If time permits, I want to explore the Pinnacles. I think it's just a hiking trail, but has a road designation 3W16, so I am not sure.

At this time trail runs are over. If you wish to camp, I will be heading to Crafts Peak area, which is an hour away near Green Valley Lake. The camping spot is above 8,000 feet! Plan accordingly. Be prepared for temps in the 40's overnight, as well as wind and rain.
Approach to camping area is moderately difficult, will require a locker. Camping is dispersed. No running water, no vault toilets, no people for miles. Fire permits are required for camp stove Prevent Wildfire - California Fire Restrictions & Campfire Safety.
No fires allowed. Adventure pass required for parking (but not expecting rangers here).
If you have a vehicle not capable of making it to camping spot, there are many alternative camping areas near here. Also if stormy weather, will not be camping near crafts peak.
If anyone wants to camp at an established campground, I will consider this. Just make the calls/reservations ahead of time.

Sunday will be light wheeling and exploring the trails in the area. Possibly go to Butler Peak. However, we will be near Crafts Peak, which is pretty much the same views as Butler, just 1 mile West. Butler Peak has a fire watch tower.

RSVP

Ham radio 2m will be used, freq 144.450. Keller repeater can be used in an emergency.

·
The Ex
2,221 Posts
Nice run setup! The run time will fluctuate for Cleghorn depending on attendance and photo shoots. Trail times in the past have been closer to 4.5 hours for groups around 10 rigs including lunch. Most people want to take pictures/video and that adds time. Also, if it happens to rain that day, Rangers have been known to lock the gate to Cleghorn. I know this from experience. The trail time for Pilot is close to spot on. I've taken a group of 8 though 2N17X to the end in under 2 hours. But that was without stopping/spotting/taking photos. To visit Pilot Rock, though, rigs will need 4wd and possibly a locker depending on skill level. Have fun! The Official TTORA SoCal Chapter Run will be on The Bradshaw Trail that same weekend. So I will not be attending this run. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had known about the run to Bradshaw I probably wouldn't have planned my Cleghorn trip. By the time I posted it I already had people planning on going on Cleghorn trip. Too late to change. Oh well, next time. Have fun at Bradshaw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Markx
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing