TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my M8000 in my ARB yesterday and when I went to wind in the synthetic line the winch had trouble working. It was responding like it was under a full load, very slow at first and made all the electronics inside the truck dim. After that it just stopped winding all together and made a clicking sound, I thought it might have come from the winch it self after I rotated it, but the sound seemed to come more from the solenoid back on top of the bumper.

Any ideas as to what it might be? I read somewhere in the Warn manual there should be some pressure on the winch when winding the cable in so I might give that a try next.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We changed around the main power to the battery to make sure it was correct as well as the three leads from the solenoid and made sure they were tight. I'm curious if ground from the solenoid to the winch body is enough.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Dyingyak said:
We changed around the main power to the battery to make sure it was correct as well as the three leads from the solenoid and made sure they were tight. I'm curious if ground from the solenoid to the winch body is enough.
I think you may have found your own answer...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I grounded it where the instructions said too, but it just didn't seem right to me. I'm not sure how I would move it though.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Hey B did you buy this one new or used? I know the one I got from Tom needed new solenoid's in it. If you get new solenoid's, You can get them from any year Ford truck for cheep I can't remember how much mine cost now. But the parts guy is going to want a year so I just told them a year truck in the 70's.

I also Bought a longer ground and ran it to the Batt. also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STOMPER said:
Hey B did you buy this one new or used? I know the one I got from Tom needed new solenoid's in it. If you get new solenoid's, You can get them from any year Ford truck for cheep I can't remember how much mine cost now. But the parts guy is going to want a year so I just told them a year truck in the 70's.

I also Bought a longer ground and ran it to the Batt. also.
Yeah I bought it used from a guy in NC off the board. I might try extending the ground first, the guy I bought it from said it worked so I'm assuming it was installation error. I got it from the same guy Kyle bought his bumpers from.

·
Registered
116 Posts
War Eagle, BCS sucks.

call Warn customer service, they are absolutely outstanding at fixing problems like these. I got the number if you need it or you can check their website.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It's definatley an electrical issue, was the truck running when you were spooling it in? Sounds like it wasn't and your battery doesn't have the reserves to power the winch and solenoids properly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SteveO said:
It's definatley an electrical issue, was the truck running when you were spooling it in? Sounds like it wasn't and your battery doesn't have the reserves to power the winch and solenoids properly.
When I first attempted to run the winch the truck wasn't running. But after it started having trouble we cranked the truck and the trouble continued. I assumed it was the battery so I just let it be and drove the truck around the rest of the night but later the problem was still there.

I'll probably try and call the WARN support and pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Dyingyak said:

nope, ground it to the battery. it seems logical that it would work just to the bumper but we just got done messing with this shit on nicks POS and sure enough straight to the battery and everything worked like new :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zszac111 said:
nope, ground it to the battery. it seems logical that it would work just to the bumper but we just got done messing with this shit on nicks POS and sure enough straight to the battery and everything worked like new :D
What guage wire did you use to ground it to the battery? I took the cover off the control box yesterday and the solenoid terminals looked a little dirty so I might take them off and clean them up with some contact cleaner. The clicking noise was definately coming from the box, you could feel it every time it was clicking.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Dyingyak said:
What guage wire did you use to ground it to the battery? I took the cover off the control box yesterday and the solenoid terminals looked a little dirty so I might take them off and clean them up with some contact cleaner. The clicking noise was definately coming from the box, you could feel it every time it was clicking.

i cant remember what gage we used, it was some pretty thick shit. his was doing the same thing, making that clicking noise, after we grounded everything right everything worked great, which was kinda weird for nicks truck :rolleyes:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know what guage wire he used to ground it to the battery? The only ground wire I have is a short high guage wire from the control box to the winch body.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got the winch to work today. I went back over the ARB winch installation instructions as well as the Warn instructions and realized that the ARB instructions were missing a step. I never had a heavy guage ground going from the winch motor to the battery negative terminal. Hooked one up and away she went! I just hope there wasn't to much damage done to the winch at the initial test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts