TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems alot of tacos get stolen and i want to get a good anti theft other than the club. i have an electrical alarm and i think it has ignition kill but theifs always seem to get around that stuff. i wanted to get the brake club but they dont fit my year tacoma due to the brake pedal being too long. whats everyone use for security other than an alarm or club??

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a DEI Viper responder 2way system. It has a starter kill which helps. I install there on a regular basis so its not a typicall install ( very stealthy) but if that doesnt stop them, i work for a vehicle tracking company and so i have a unit in my truck (also extreamly stealthy install). You can check into lojack but if you have a decent budget (large i guess) you can look at our system by going to www.teletrac.net

·
Registered
472 Posts
i was in south africa a couple years back and some buddies had gear shift locks. Didnt matter if they got the ignition on or not, it was a lock with one of those round keys with a bar that went from side to side. pretty cool. im trying to see if i can find one.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
it seems alot of tacos get stolen and i want to get a good anti theft other than the club. i have an electrical alarm and i think it has ignition kill but theifs always seem to get around that stuff. i wanted to get the brake club but they dont fit my year tacoma due to the brake pedal being too long. whats everyone use for security other than an alarm or club??
Install hidden kill switches. There's lots of different things you can do so that the truck won't run. That won't stop someone from dragging it onto a flat bed, but should stop the average scumbag.

Alarms have their purpose. They are good to have when your vehicle is nearby, like when you are home. Nobody's going to want to stick around long enough to see if the homeowner will be coming outside with a shotgun.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
166 Posts
2 way alarm, 12 gauge shotgun :D

A good hidden kill switch works wonders if you're away from the car. hide it well, and make it kill the coil power, ECU power, fuel pump power, etc.

You could even use a few differnt kill switches- one inside, one outside, etc.- only limited by your imagination!

I had one hidden IN the sheet metal reinforcement of the trunk of my 1994 Mustang GT years ago- you'd never find the thing, and at school, I was just another kid taking his pack out of the trunk :)

You could even get creative and use a fog light switch to pop a relay which cuts fuel pump power.. possibilites are endless..

As far as clubs go, if you know the procedure, you can bust one with a breaker bar (hollow pipe) in about 5 seconds.

-Dave

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea id love to install my own ignition kill but i have no idea how to make one. if anyone has pics for anything for how to make one with a switch id appreciate it. or if anyone is in socal and knows how to do it and could help me, i have a 6 pack waiting for you. it sounds simple i just dont know anything about the wiring.
thanks
-darren

·
Registered
166 Posts
Darren,

It's pretty easy- you just need to cut a wire that's critical to running the truck, and put a switch in between. Then hide the switch somewhere.

I'm in Los Angeles if you really need help doing it.

-Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
SHould rename this thread ,
" WHat countermeasures do I need to overcome to break into your rig".

Sorry just a pessimist at heart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
i wanted to get the brake club but they dont fit my year tacoma due to the brake pedal being too long.
So the autolock won't fit 01 up tacos? Does that go for both auto and manual?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the one that goes on your brake pedal, it lists the years and makes on the back of the package and tacoma was on there. cant remember the years but i know mine was on there. 2002. so im going to do some kind of ignition kill this weekend probably.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hidden kills are the way to go

Just like everyone else here, you'll never find mine either.

Also, when I leave my truck for days on end in the middle of nowhere when I do remote backpacks, I always pull the starter fuse and hide it in the woods.

Funny thing is, my big fear is that would-be thieves will get pissed that they can't start the truck, and burn it...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd vote for the ignition kill switch. Many ways of doing this. I'm going to post the wire diagrams for all to use and look at. If you need a larger one email me at [email protected]. These are for a 2000 3.4L Tacoma. Hope these help....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts