TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya pretty much what the topic says. I hear it when I brake hard, also I hear that same sound when I turn the wheel completely to one side. Anyone got any idea what that is?

·
Registered
9 Posts
clunk

It could be axle wrap. My 01 taco did it too. It kinda went away when I got stiffer rear springs and shocks, cause it doesn't allow the axle diff to point upwards on a hard brake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"axle wrap" is a toyota urban myth. if the clunk occurs immediately after you release the brake then its caused by the driveshaft rear spline (slip joint) un-binding. guarenteed. try lubing it.

as far as a clunk when turning, i just noticed my right front sway bar mount completely rotted and dettached from the frame. check that out too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just to eliminate one thing, take off your rear wheels and the drums and check to see if there is oil on the pads from a leaking axle seal.

One of my rear seals were bad in my truck and it contaminated the brake shoes and caused them to lock up on me at slower speeds. There was no difference at higher speeds only when coming to a stop at under 5 mph would it lock up. Don't know if this is the same you are experiencing or not but just thought i would throw it out there.

Oh and the fix, I replaced both axle seals (to be thorough) and both of the rear brake shoes, and drained and refilled the rear differential. Fixed the problem out right.

·
Registered
74 Posts
check your sway bar end links and check where the sway bar attatches to the frame. I had the same noise and found my right side sway bar bracket that attatches to the frame rotting off and cracked.

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
Clunk???

You didn't specify front or rear.
Front upper long bolt: remove,lube,reinstall
Lower control arm: bushing mount hole in arm? loose alignment cam bolts?

·
Registered
114 Posts
assuming you have an automatic, if you put it in neutral when braking hard and do not experience the clunk, then it almost definately is the slip yoke. supposedly it's "normal" though i wonder what effects it has long-term.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts