TTORA Forum banner
201 - 220 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I might be chiming in a bit late here, but I have fixed these issues before on tacomas. You need to replace the upper shaft, the piece between the steering wheel and the joint that goes to the rack and depending on how worn out it is the joint on the rack as wheel and make sure the bolts are at proper torque. It is not very hard to do, more intimidating than anything. I believe what wears is a plastic piece that the shafts pivot on for the tilt column.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to awaken an awesome thread! Took forever to read. One question though, is there a way to tighten slop at the rack? If I do a shimmy shimmy shake with the wheel I can see the lower shaft turn a little before the rack does.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I might be chiming in a bit late here, but I have fixed these issues before on tacomas. You need to replace the upper shaft, the piece between the steering wheel and the joint that goes to the rack and depending on how worn out it is the joint on the rack as wheel and make sure the bolts are at proper torque. It is not very hard to do, more intimidating than anything. I believe what wears is a plastic piece that the shafts pivot on for the tilt column.
I did that maybe two years ago now... Fixed the problem for maybe a year. After that it's back to business as usual. It's just gotten loose all over again. I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
gunny hows it holding up ive got an 01 dc with the same issues probably gonna tackle the problem in a month when business slows a little. great thread btw!

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Pretty common problem, upper steering shaft has a slip yoke to allow for airbag compression. It goes bad and gets play, seen it dozens of times. I have a picture of one but not handy...

Mines been doing it for years, maybe I`ll do some looking around.... So it could be the steering slip yoke or the tilt u-joint? I know some older cars have a "coupler" that would wear out-usually rubber.

Wonder how many racks have been replaced thinkin the rattle noise would disappear?

·
Registered
316 Posts
THAT is an incredible thread:D

im riding an '05 doublecab tundra, actually on my 2nd one after i totaled #1 :rolleyes:

thye both had this problem, put new racks in both of them

this thread was extremely helpul, now i just gotta do it haha

·
Registered
316 Posts
epic fail... can't get the upper shaft out of the column :mad: cuz of this lovely little bolt thing

showstop any ideas?

·
Registered
316 Posts
i think im gonna just order the shaft, modify it myself, then have my parents' mechanic just install the thing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would this fix for the steering clunking also work on a 2wd Tacoma w/o adjustable steering?

My steering rattles something awful on bumpy highway pavement. Sounds like it's coming from inside the steering column, like a loose energy suspension parts bushing or something.

Thanks to all who have pioneered the way to a fix.
Looks like my problem is somewhat similar to yours. Mine rattles once a while even on good roads. I'm not good at fixing steerings so I'm thinking of taking it to the shop but any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
epic fail... can't get the upper shaft out of the column :mad: cuz of this lovely little bolt thing

showstop any ideas?
it looks like you havent pulled the springs off?

the column should slip right through there, you sure the lower splines are loose? might have to tap on them with a hammer to get it to come loose

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Just bought a 2001 Tacoma and new to the forum.
After searching on here thought I may have this problem.
However, before I rip everything apart and find someone to do the welding, I'd just ask if you guys could clarify something.

In my truck forest roads are fine but when I go on the really slow, rough and bumpy sections it feels like something is clunking around even though the wheel is tight. It feels like what you'd expect from the pictures with the inner shaft moving around.
However...
In the write up it says:
"When the truck is not moving, with the engine on or off, the steering wheel can be freely rotated approximately 1" back and forth without moving the front wheels. At highway speeds, the truck will occasionally wander to the left or right, requiring frequent correction"

This does not happen. It is perfect on the highway and there is no play relative to my friends 03 Tacoma that doesn't rattle on the rough stuff.

Is the clunking/rattling only on the really rough stuff enough proof this is the problem you think?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
This is such a quick and easy procedure (pending you have a welder available) that if there's any doubt, just do it. That way if the spot weld doesn't fix the problem then you can look elsewhere like ball joints, tie rods, etc. It took me a half hour to remove, weld, and reinstall.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Is the clunking/rattling only on the really rough stuff enough proof this is the problem you think?
I can hear and feel the clunking in the steering wheel column/shaft
simply by turning the steering wheel left/right, engine off, key in/unlock ign.
mine seems fairly obvious

Tho' I started this original complaint/thread long ago...
and even own a welder to fix it...
it has still not motivated me enough to get busy
I guess I just keep ignoring it... Lol

slop in the steering could be blamed on worn rack mount bushings.
Most upgrade to the Energy Suspension bushing kit.

worn itre's should be checked as well...
they are a common failure if rolling larger tires.

could also be the internal rack guide is loose, out of adjustment, worn.
and this could cause the internal rack excessive movement that shouldn't be allowed. (ignoring that causes inner rack seal failure/bleed out)
There is a redesigned rack guide for the 1st gens.
later model '01 -'04 may already have that newer guide.

IMO...
No reason to pull the column/shaft for correction unless you can feel the slip in the steering shaft when turning the S wheel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Way to revive a 9 year old thread!

In the last two years, I welded the slip yoke, replaced the rack bushings, and just did the inner and outer tie rods. Somewhere in between the rattle sound began- mostly noticeable when driving forest roads/over bumps at low speed. It may be the steering rack, but I locked up the steering shaft with visegrips, turned the wheel and was able to pretty closely replicate the sound coming from the u-joint.

My question is.... A couple of you have replaced the steering u-joint. Was this pretty straightforward? I can find no instructions or write-up on this. May need to consult the FSM on this one, but wondering if anyone has replaced it themselves. The cheapest I've found this part for is $275. Anyone find a better price?

Thanks and great thread btw!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over the last 3 months i have pretty close to rebuilt my entire front end. Last night I did the slipjoint mod ,repressed the ujoints and packed the rotating assembly with grease, $0 invested and hands down the most noticeable repair. Just rolled over 300k and steering feels like a new truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
works

did it. Tension/roll pin variation. About 1.5 hours, which includes about 1/2 hour to slowly drill hole, hammer in pin, grind down with dremel. Wasn't much slop before but it is noticeably not sloppy at all now.
followed trailbuilt's easier removal procedure, except i did disconnect the battery. No need to mess with airbag deployment. http://ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2070626&postcount=19

good advice from TacoDell "Drill one size smaller than size needed for roll pin initially. Once that's done, drill with the appropriate size drill for your roll pin."
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217275&postcount=140

201 - 220 of 223 Posts