TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i hope someone can help me. I have a 1998 tacoma SR5 4x4 and it is clunking lately. After i shift from neutral to 1st and start off my truck makes a clunking noise and if i go in reverse and the shift into first it also clunks when i take off. My buddy says he thinks its either a U-Joint or an axle bearing. He is a mechanic but i was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and know what it might be.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like a driveshaft u-joint. Reach underneath and give the driveshaft a shake... if it's bad enough that it's clunking then it should move a fair bit.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Possibly U-joint. I had one go out on me last month. Here is a simple test: With your wheels chucked, place your truck in neutral and get under it and try to move the driveshaft with your hand. I you have any play, you've got a bad u-joint.

A better test will be to unbolt the u-joint from the flange and check for any play. This is how I found mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Possibly U-joint. I had one go out on me last month. Here is a simple test: With your wheels chucked, place your truck in neutral and get under it and try to move the driveshaft with your hand. I you have any play, you've got a bad u-joint.

A better test will be to unbolt the u-joint from the flange and check for any play. This is how I found mine.
i agree with this advice, i almost garrentee its a bad u-joint. spend the money and get a quality u-joint. dont waste your money on a cheapy from autozone or checker autoparts. spend money so it will last another couple years or more.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Also could be exessive play in the double cardone... The joint that lays centered between the rear 2 piece drive shaft... This could move up and down and cause a clunk when engaging the throttle...

Less likely but possible... is the pinion output bearings or even the ouput bearings in the transfer case...

Oh and lets not overlook the simple fact that if the rear leaves flex too much or have gone weak... that axle wrap could be a culprit as well...

Make sure yer U-Bolts are torqued correctly as well...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Check the backlash for your rear diff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts