TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
At the top of the clutch pedal, where the push rod attaches, there is an adjustment nut. That needs to be adjusted for proper pedal height and freeplay. Pedal height is from the floor perpendicular to the pedal surface and freeplay is the amount of pedal travel before the clutch resistance is felt.

Pedal height should be 170.0-180.0 mm (6.69-7.08 in) from the floor panel.

Free play should be 5.0-15.0 mm (0.19-0.59 in) or 1.0-5.0 mm (0.03-0.19 in) at the top of the pedal.

·
Registered
294 Posts
WareCreek said:
95.5 4wd V6 MT

How do I adjust the clutch? I replaced the clutch about 1k mi ago.

Thanks
Donnie
Since it’s a hydraulic clutch, there is no real adjustment. Just the pedal as mentioned

·
Registered
31 Posts
so yer sayin the clutch is supposed to grab near the top of the pedal? this doesnt seem right to me, can you explain why its like that?

turner

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
The clutch pedal does not control the clutch per se, but rather the clutch fork and throwout bearing. The throwout bearing has a decent amount of travel before and during contact with the diaphragm spring before the clutch is disengaged. This travel is exaggerated by the clutch pedal. When the pedal is depressed the clutch is disengaged from the flywheel. It is not grabbing the flywheel when you depress the pedal; it's the other way around.

Is that somewhat clear?

·
Registered
31 Posts
sorry bout that got it mixed up, i understand how a clutch works, the reason i asked you to explain is cause when you release the pedal to make the disc contact the flywheel, i always thought that the closer to the floor that it "grabbed" the better, (i.e, more freeplay at the top of the pedal) was the way it was supposed to be, ive owned a couple with cars w/ cable style clutches and always kept them adjusted so they had tons of freeplay at the top, since there is no real adjustment on the hydro clutch it is kind of mut piont im just tryin to gain a knowledge here

turner

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
AK98Taco said:
The clutch pedal does not control the clutch per se, but rather the clutch fork and throwout bearing. The throwout bearing has a decent amount of travel before and during contact with the diaphragm spring before the clutch is disengaged. This travel is exaggerated by the clutch pedal. When the pedal is depressed the clutch is disengaged from the flywheel. It is not grabbing the flywheel when you depress the pedal; it's the other way around.

Is that somewhat clear?
Nice summary. Very well stated.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
TURNER said:
sorry bout that got it mixed up, i understand how a clutch works, the reason i asked you to explain is cause when you release the pedal to make the disc contact the flywheel, i always thought that the closer to the floor that it "grabbed" the better, (i.e, more freeplay at the top of the pedal) was the way it was supposed to be, ive owned a couple with cars w/ cable style clutches and always kept them adjusted so they had tons of freeplay at the top, since there is no real adjustment on the hydro clutch it is kind of mut piont im just tryin to gain a knowledge here

turner
Well, as simply as I can describe it, the less freeplay, i.e. the more pedal travel in relation to clutch travel, will allow smoother engagement (which is very necessary with high-friction clutches like my Centerforce Dual Friction) and better control. Offroad, it would be very difficult to slip a clutch that had little or no freeplay, and the motor would cut-out with such a sudden engagement.

That's the best I can do to explain it from my own thoughts and experiences.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
ShowStop said:
Nice summary. Very well stated.
Well, thank you very much!

I receive the most satisfaction in my life from trying to help people, but I often get too drawn out in my explanations/descriptions and feel like I am missing the point of the original question.

[There I go again :) ].

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I adjusted it last night and it seemed to help, but it still wasn't right. I dropped it off this morning to have the 4th clutch master cylinder put in it. :(

Donnie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts