TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking off from a dead stop my '04 shakes pretty violently. I usually have to rev up the motor and slowly feather the clutch to prevent it from doing this. It is really prevelant in the mornings when it's cold out but goes away after it warms up.

My '91 used to do this too but not nearly this bad. My '04 has been doing it since new.

Any ideas on what causes this? Is this normal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I feel some clutch chatter it always worries me too. I have decided that it is me causing it by adding the revs. I'll then pull away and think about what I am doing with my feet and it doesnt happen. Short of a broken trany or engine mount, I'd say try letting off the clutch with minimal rpm and see what happens.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greavous said:
I have decided that it is me causing it by adding the revs....... I'd say try letting off the clutch with minimal rpm and see what happens.
I have to rev the engine up to 3k before letting the clutch out so it doesn't shake. Or, if I let the clutch out real, real slow it's fine. It feels like the whole truck is going to fall apart it shakes so bad. I've driven manuals for years and have never had this problem. The truck only has 25k miles on it.

It's kinda frightening pulling out onto a road with a car coming and my truck is shaking away. I usually push the clutch back in and start over while halfway through my turn. This only happens when it's cold out and from a 1st gear start.

I've heard of Miata's and Subaru's having similar problems...???

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Mine does that but only the first couple of 1st gear shifts on a cold morning, I just assumed it's normal :confused:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
cheez said:
When taking off from a dead stop my '04 shakes pretty violently. I usually have to rev up the motor and slowly feather the clutch to prevent it from doing this. It is really prevelant in the mornings when it's cold out but goes away after it warms up.

My '91 used to do this too but not nearly this bad. My '04 has been doing it since new.

clutch chatter is caused by some sort of moisture build up on the disc/pressure plate. If this happens first thing in the am but not later on then it is most likely just water. If you live in a cold climate this seems to be common.

If, however, the problem persists all day long you probably have a rear main seal out and are leaking oil into the clutch assembly.

since you have a new truck, take it in for inspection and make sure they write up a ticket so you have a record of the complaint.

those of you with older trucks with under 60k miles regardless of year: you may still be covered under the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My truck never did it when it was garaged... now that it's parked outside, just like you, the first few shifts in the morning shake a little. I think you're OK.

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm glad somebody else has this issue. I thought my clutch was going out!!! Mine only does it first thing on cold mornings.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My clutch doesn't rattle much... Just light the rear up for a few, and it's all good. The problem may be based on your stock springs in back, giving you some small axlewrap. Even at slow speeds, this can shine through. My truck hopped loke a frog on dope until I put in the Deaver add on kit, and ditched the overload. Since I haven't gone gonzo yet, I put in new pro comp 5000 rear shocks for the time being. Lo and behold, almost no more rear hop and chatter. I DO not like the sticky trans, 5 spd stick. Clunky 1st gear, hard engage when cold. Hopefully mobil 1 synthetic will cure this. AAGGGHHHH. Another thought. Check U-joints, and center shaft carrier. My chevy eats those things like candy. Grease 'em up!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
cheez said:

Mine does the same thing as well. Like you, I thought it was from wear or smoking it while offroading.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
BOOBANELLI21 said:
Mine does the same thing as well. Like you, I thought it was from wear or smoking it while offroading.
well, in your case the clutch is probably gone ;)

j/k

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rojodiablo said:
My truck hopped loke a frog on dope until I put in the Deaver add on kit...
Oh darn, sounds like I'll need to finally buy some Deaver's or Alcan's. Heck, I might as well throw on some Hoe's and Revo's while I'm under there. :D

Thanks for everyone's replies. Sounds like it's fairly common and I should quite crying about it. Next time I'm at the stealer I'll make sure I have them check it out (just for the record).

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
BOOBANELLI21 said:
Haha, thats okay....I can get parts/labor for cheap ;)
cool! wanna do my clutch when I get the crawler? :cool:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
BOOBANELLI21 said:
Sure, bring it to where I work so I can make some money :D
heck, I'm looking for free labor ;)

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Clutch Chatter

hytenor said:
clutch chatter is caused by some sort of moisture build up on the disc/pressure plate. If this happens first thing in the am but not later on then it is most likely just water. If you live in a cold climate this seems to be common.
a warped flywheel could cause this as well! I'm smart, I know, lol!!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wslytoy said:
hytenor said:
a warped flywheel could cause this as well! I'm smart, I know, lol!!
true but it would chatter all the time and you would notice other problems as well ;)

you been smokin' yer clutch :p

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Clutch Chatter??

hytenor said:
true but it would chatter all the time and you would notice other problems as well ;)

you been smokin' yer clutch :p

Yeah, I know, I just wanted to share my vast knowledge, haha! I never smoke my clutch, mainly b/c all I do is daily drivin', they've "developed" all of the offroadin' spots we had. The only 1's we've got left are massively deep mudbogs that only SERIOUSLY equipped Heeps, LC's, or older Chevy's and Fords can get thru. Even if there was places, I don't ever have any damn time, lol!! Must be nice to have a "real job" where you have the weekends off!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wslytoy said:
Yeah, I know, I just wanted to share my vast knowledge, haha! I never smoke my clutch, mainly b/c all I do is daily drivin', they've "developed" all of the offroadin' spots we had. The only 1's we've got left are massively deep mudbogs that only SERIOUSLY equipped Heeps, LC's, or older Chevy's and Fords can get thru. Even if there was places, I don't ever have any damn time, lol!! Must be nice to have a "real job" where you have the weekends off!
hey, how's that new tranny from Marlin working out? notice much difference in the lower 1st gear?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
9 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing