TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've read over 15+ posts for the solution but to no avail. The creak between the clutch plunger and fork still exists after repeated attempts at grease, anti seize, lithium spray. I've pin-pointed to that exact point but can't get grease in between the surfaces. Lemme know if I'm just being stupid or if there's an actual fix.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If it's creaking where the clutch goes into the tranny, just inside the black rubber boot there (drivers side where my old taco was) just spray some lube in there.. Presto done for about 4 months

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
The horseshoe bushing is a common source of the clutch squeak. Do you hear it louder in the cab or under the truck by the bellhousing? rosscopeeko posted a good link to the horseshoe bushing replacement but its a pain in the ass to do. I just popped out the torsion spring and replaced it with an older style linear spring used on the older trucks. There is a place on the steering column and clutch pedal to hook up this style spring and its much easier than replacing it with another bushing thats just gonna do the same thing. I didnt even have to dissasemble any of the clutch linkage I just carefully pryed out the torsion spring with my face clear of the line of fire (Im not into peircings).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do you have that heinous high-pitched squeeking right at where the slave cylinder pin is in contact with the cupped lever that goes into the tranny? So if you just barely press the clutch, it puts enough tension on that pin that the squeek goes away? Drive me frigging nuts.

I think you're out of luck. I've had it on my 2001 for about a year now. I've tried every type of grease I can think of. Some of them (like CV-joint moly grease) work for a few days but it always comes back since those pieces are outside and exposed to water/salt/sand, etc. I was thinking of making some kind of plastic bushing or something to put in that cup....

-Fear

·
Registered
172 Posts
Knoxtaco, is there anyway you could take a pic of your older truck spring in your truck? My bushing is gone too and i think i'll go the route you went if it works well. From what i've read those bushings only last a year or so. thanks man,

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Theres another link somewhere that talks about replacing it with a linear spring, with pics and part numbers. Thats what I did, i think it was a brake return spring but I dont remember exactly now.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2000. I shot some PB Blaster up into it and never heard from the creak again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bigbadyoda said:
If it's creaking where the clutch goes into the tranny, just inside the black rubber boot there (drivers side where my old taco was) just spray some lube in there.. Presto done for about 4 months
The boot for the slave cylinder or the housing boot? I'm a little hesitant to start spraying lube into the housing. It's definitely not the clutch return bushing, it's either the slave plunger against the fork or whatever bigbadyoda mentioned.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I sprayed wd-40 into mine and it stopped.. I know that's not the best lube but it worked.. kist give it a few squirts into the two hole that are mostly visible in the black boot when you crawl under and see it. I'll bet money if thats it, it'll fix it or your money back lol

I think it gets moisture in it or dust or something after a while and starts the annoying never ending sqeak. Drove me up the wall + the notorious dash vibrations + some squeak between my cab and bed.. I'm VERY picky when it comes to rattles.. Thank god my new one ain't got any!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
If it is that stupid bushing tear it and the spring out and don't look back. That mechanism doesn't even effect the clutch when taken out. It's only there to apply tension for the pedal feel. I was dealing with that same sound and tried all the lube that's been talked about. It eventually came back every time.

·
Registered
700 Posts
ok, so i dont have my truck right here with me, but im just throwin the idea out there aimlessly... if the squeek is between the slave and the fork, why not use something like the little plastic ball that goes on the end of the manual shifter and put that over the end of the slave? its been a while since ive seen that lil ball, but hey it might work... again, i probably have no clue what im talking about, but maybe someone can investigate and see if its even doable. :2cents:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Anti-Sieze has always worked for me... Permetex with the brush in the bottle gets the shiat in there... Still have to redo it a coupla' times a year... I like this better then the idea of spraying shiat up in there...

I'm on my 2nd clutch and all that shiat was replaced and a year later the groan has returned again (primarly it rears it's ugly head just after a rain... Got to be moisture getting in there... at least in my case it seems to have a relation)... This design is inherently sucky...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used Marine lube for boat steering cables and such. Mercury 2-4-C with teflon. I put a few tube squirts mainly where the shaft goes into the firewall, from under the dash. I dabed a few other pivot points all under the dash. It takes a while for the lube to work its way up the shaft but the stuff never dries out or disapears. I've only had to do it once and that was over a year ago.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet...

Get rid of the stock clutch pedal spring.

I forgot what I used. Other people will have the correct spring to use. I can't believe I didn't see it in the FAQ either. Anyways, here are 2 pics so you get an idea.

·
Registered
741 Posts
garrett1478 said:
just get rid of the spring all together. you dont need one. i've been driving with no spring for over a year and it works fine.
wouldn't that wear out your clutch faster? Just like someone that would keep there foot pressure on the clutch all the time while driving, there would be a slight pressure on the clutch all the time.

im sure the spring is there for a reason, no proof just makes sense to me,

Austin

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mine squeaks too.

It's coming from behind the black boot. I very hestitant against spraying lube in there. grease....Clutch disc......I would think it's like lubing your brakes.
I'll look into it when I replace the clutch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts