TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks...I got's me problem,
I replaced the clutch on my '04 V6 sunday and I think I knocked the fork
off of the pivot during assembly. Anyway I think that's the case because the fork now pivots against the outer edge of the bell housing. Bad. bad news.
Question: Is it possible to pop the fork up into the right position without pulling the whole whole housing? I can stick a finger in the side and feel the clip and the post in the channel of the fork but isn't it supposed to be in a cup?

Can anybody post up a pic of the back side of a clutch fork??

kev-

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is the only thing close that I have, dont know if this will help or not but its all I have. This is from my 95.5 2.7 xcab from when I did a clutch job last year.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
The back of the clutch fork just has a small dimple in the middle where it rests on the pivot bolt. I cant find a pic of the exact one, but it looks like this:

The real concern is whether the throwout bearing is still attached to the fork properly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's how I remember it...but those pics also show that is pretty
much impossible to get it wrong. So why in the hell would the TO bearing have to travel so far such that the fork makes contact with the case?
My slave is extended to the point that I cant believe the piston hasnt fallen out yet. The clutch still engauge/disengauge but all in the last 1/2" of pedal travel
There is no noise that would lead me to believe the TO bearing is floating either.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Thats pretty typical. In all the Toyota clutches I've ever worked on, it seems like the clutch hydraulics are pretty much maxed completely when the clutch is fully engaged. Thats why any weakness with the master or slave cylinder means the clutch wont function right.

The TO bearing probably isn't floating since I have yet to see one Tacoma where the TO bearing fully disengaged from the pressure plate. Just as long as it has no load on it, your fine. Did you check the clutch pedal for proper freeplay?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The funny thing is is that there is no load to speak of on the fork or TO. I can press the fork with my thumb and swing the TO out to the pressure plate and there must be at least and inch of play. I alway thought that in the disengaged stat the bearing should have light pressure. Things seem really, really sloppy.
in fact.. the pressure plate dosen't even begin to release until the fork is riding the bell house . It's really doing a number on the housing too. It's going to bust the fork eventially

k-

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Somethings not right then. Thats not how the clutch or the fork should be functioning. I wonder if the fork is already bent.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm starting to wonder if I got the wrong pressure plate... If the new cover and plate were thinner then what I took off, would that explain the extra slop??
did I get a 4 banger clutch cover instead of a V6? Is there a difference?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if I got the wrong pressure plate... If the new cover and plate were thinner then what I took off, would that explain the extra slop??
did I get a 4 banger clutch cover instead of a V6? Is there a difference?
Absolutely there is a difference. We had a member here do some comparisons and found that the clutch components from a V6 couldn't be used on a 4cyl. I know for sure that the V6 clutch has a longer throwout bearing then the 4cyl.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...and I get the ruler on the back of the hands for not putting the parts
side by side before install. Mother [email protected]#^!!!!
I'm having this nightmare in my head right now that Marlin sent me a kit for a
4 cylinder. Son'of'a! the invoice says V6 but that doesn't mean thats what was in the box. time to find some part numbers...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Son OF A Bitch!!!!
the part number on the TO Bearing box is for a god danmed 2.7L!!!!
Son Of Bitch!

I suppose if start dialing marlin now (with a 10:1 "get hung up on ratio") to explain my extreme disappointment, I
just may get the right parts by, oh, say thanksgiving?

I'm so pissed right now I'm shaking.
damn it!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts