TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I was driving my gf home from the bar last weekend in her car and while sitting at a red light I had the clutch pedal in and the stick in 1st. She says not to do that cause it puts to much pressure on the pressure plate springs (she didn't say specific but I know what she meant) and will cause them to break. Car is an 88 Fiero and she was told this by her brother a top notch mechanic for Honda, and a Fiero fanatic...he has 5 of them.

I've never heard of this causing premature breakage of the pressureplate springs...maybe it's because I drive a Toyota :D

Anyway, I told her my previous clutch lasted 176k and this is the way I normally drive...sometimes, I'll leave it in neutral with clutch out but you get the drift.

Any validity to this?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm going to side with your girlfriend, It might not break the springs but they will wear out slightly faster and so will your leg.

I go N untill the lights about to change then I put it in 1st.

·
Registered
249 Posts
thats good to know it makes sense now that I've read this I never really payed any attention to it but I'll try and get rid of that bad habit

·
Registered
249 Posts
yeah I need to find me one of them. then I could break the truck and she could fix it :boobies: :whip:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's a hard habit to break.

She doesn't wrench...infact, it's quite the opposite. Her brother reminds her when to get her oil changed and tires rotated. She does do other things well... :wiggle:

My throwout bearing was going bad before I replaced the clutch...clutch was still fine but we jsut swapped the whole shebang.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I was told by two of my brothers (one wrenches a lot on his own vehicles, one races his vehicle) and both stated that this will increase the wear on your throwout bearings.

You are making the bearing spin, and there is no oil going to it, just grease. You get the picture after it spins for a while...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Cruznlife1
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing