TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a '03 Tacoma TRD 4X4 that I've had for about 14 months. In a trip down to Moab I notice my clutch acting funny, squeaking and making noise when engaging and disengaging. I checked it out, oiled it then it went away for awhile. Now it seems to be a different problem with the clutch or tranny. When my clutch is all the way out while I'm driving, if i get on the gas, mainly in higher gears, the engine revs way up but the truck will not increase speed. Is my clutch starting to go, or do you think theres just some oil on my clutch disc, or worse a problem with the tranny? Also when this started happening my temp gauge stopped working. Don't know if the two are related , but anyone seen or had this before. Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
jfrizzle said:
When my clutch is all the way out while I'm driving, if i get on the gas, mainly in higher gears, the engine revs way up but the truck will not increase speed. Is my clutch starting to go, or do you think theres just some oil on my clutch disc, or worse a problem with the tranny?
Yeah that reving up issue on the highway is your clutch slipping, it definately needs to be chaged ASAP. Get your flywheel re-surfaced, a new clutch, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate, and make a Saturday out of the adventure. Get some beer and couple of buddies that know what their doing and have at it!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
how did you oil up your clutch?!

I checked it out, oiled it then it went away for awhile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks for the help! When I end replacing the clutch I would prefer to get an after market one. Perhaps the TRD, Centerforce, or the Valeo. Would this be a benefit as far as performance or would it just be better quality,or both, and would you recommend this or anything else. Thanks for the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
ShowStop
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing