TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on changing out my clutch master and slave cylinders in hopes of getting a better pedal out of the deal. My MC is full of nasty crap which is a good indicator that one of the seals is crapping out. I just assume replce them as a set just to be on the safe side.

I called Shannon for a qoute on the parts. Then I called Fred Haas to see if they could do the job since I'm really busy trying to wrap up this semester. The parts are ~120 bucks. They wanted to charge 540 for the whole job:eek: Man I don't know what they're smoking, but I'll definately be doing the job myself. Those 4 bolts must be a real pain to R&I lol.

My only concern is properly bleeding the system. Does anyone have a write up on the PROPER way to bleed a hydraulic clutch????

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
just like you would bleed brakes

PROPER way
1. fill reservoir with brake fluid
2. attach a bleeder tube to the bleeder screw and put end in a jar with some brake fluid in it
3. open bleeder and have someone depress clutch completely, then tighten bleeder. release clutch.
4. repeat step 3 until no more bubbles, making sure the reservior does not get too empty

i always skip step 2 though

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
What????? I'd do that for you for $250.00 labor.(AND ALL )..sorry
Including flushing the brake fluid....
just bring a 2 liter bottle of brake fluid..

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
forgive my ignorance, but am I missing something here? Seriously, I can have both parts installed on the vehicle in less than 30 minutes, hands washed ,and tools put up. It's two bolts, two nuts, and some fittings which are easily accessible.

I figured it would be at absolute maximum 2.0 hrs flag time which is more than enough IMHO. I have noticed though that labor rates are rediculously higher here. ~$75-100/hr where they were consistently $60/hr in Louisiana.

So, what am I missing here besides bleeding the brakes/ adjusting the pedal?

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
Yeah...Some places are High...they think No one thinks like that.....
No doubt they probably want
$300.00 for 3.0 hours labor
$35.00 for some brake fluid,PLUS the parts..

It's more like 1.5 hours with the flushing and bleeding
All the Techs at our shop know I will look at their labor Quotes and call them Out when I know what is RIGHT...They may hate me ...But you know what F*#! them.
I have been there too long and I guess I have Some repect for the customers that I depend on to make a living.

You are right on, you aren't missing anything
Get them to print the quote....And I'll do the same
pm me your fax #

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I went ahead and did the job myself. Woke up early this morning and got all the new parts installed. The slave cylinder was definately shot, but the MC seemed ok. I went ahead and installed the new one for preventative measures.

Time from start to finish including test drive~ 1hour-40 minutes.
Some of that time was spent taking apart the old parts to see how they work.

I will probably try to rebuild them if I can find the parts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's more like 1.5 hours with the flushing and bleeding
All the Techs at our shop know I will look at their labor Quotes and call them Out when I know what is RIGHT...They may hate me ...But you know what F*#! them.
I have been there too long and I guess I have Some repect for the customers that I depend on to make a living.

QUOTE]

Are you saying the techs get to decide their hours? I thought there was set time for any type of R&R parts? The only thing that was ever estimated in the shops I have worked in was repair time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts