TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i did all the searching, but it seems i have different clutch issues than most people. My clutch isn't exactly going out, i just hate it.

Ok so it all started when i first bought the truck. THe clutch let out so high that i could barely drive it. My knee was hitting the wheel. SO my dad got under there and pulled the rod back shortening the height of how far the pedal came up to give my leg a break. Well that helped a lot, but i'm still not happy. THe clutch lets out sooooo fast. Like there's no way to let out slowly to get the truck moving. As soon as you let off at all, it is completely engaged. THis makes it soooo hard to come off of a hill, or when wheelin, because you have to keep the rpm's really high or it will stall. Ok so i'm thinking of replacing it now. ANd i know that when i do i need readjust that pedal. SO my question, is what can i put in it, that will be easier to drive with. I just want like a normal feeling clutch. I've had the truck for a while now, and its so hard to deal with, you can't get used to it and drive smoothly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi TacoChick. Sounds like the throw out bearing is going. I would look into replacing it soon so you arent left without complete functionality of the clutch.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,525 Posts
Mine is the same way. Always disengaged really high on the pedal. Even with a new clutch, it didn't matter, always the same spot. Thats due to the hydraulics and the geometry of the clutch system. There isn't an easy way to change it. I'd suspect that the "fix" that was done to the pedal has eliminated the freeplay and will lead to the throwout bearing going bad.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the pedal fix didn't change anything at all really. Before we did it, the clutch didn't even begine to let out until the very top. SO the space in between there, was just....space, it didn't do anything. THe clutch still let out the exact same way. The pdeal just isn't as high to begin with now.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i didn't think this had anything to do with the TOB right now. What do you think i can do to help this out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmm. Not engaging till the end of the pedal? In every vehicle I have ever owned (Which are all standards) it has been the throwout bearing! But yea I'm sure it could be the wrong diagnosis. JUst thought I'd try to help is all!! :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so do yall think if i replaced the clutch, that would help a little bit?

If so, should i just go OEM or aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
ok so do yall think if i replaced the clutch, that would help a little bit?

If so, should i just go OEM or aftermarket?
The OEM made it this long. It has to be right for another 12+ yrs? Why mess with something that works right? :2cents:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good point...my only concern, is whether it felt like this when it was newer, i just bought, so i don't have a way to tell

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
good point...my only concern, is whether it felt like this when it was newer, i just bought, so i don't have a way to tell
What I have learned over the yrs (47+) is, half the fun of a new vehicle is learning it's quarks? When is the last time you changed the fluid for the clutch. That will always tighten it up and move the release further down towards the floor. Had this happen with the clutch for my motorcycle. Went 3 yrs w/o changing cluth fluid. Changed fluid and it was like new for release point? :2cents:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok we might try that then and see what that does first. I don't want to jump into anything and make it worse. I don't think its going out i'm just not completely happy with it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Wish you the best of luck. Hope everything works out right? Keep us posted with how things go. You problem/salution can help someone else out one day?
Also look at the FSM for ideas? Heres the link:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Down load and read. Ton's of good info for all occasions.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no doubt....thanks alot by the way

·
Registered
47 Posts
my clutch is the same, been that way pretty much since new, only diff. is mine is now slipping in fourth at low rpm. i.e. like fourth gear acceleration from say 2k to 3k. i am going to replace w/ aftermarket, probably the centerforce df model as i have had real good results using centerforce in the stang

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow, what a smal world, I'm StangChik from MustangForums.com with the white 98 GT with the pony on the side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts