TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone near the Houston area intrested in a side job or maybe even lend a helping hand on a clutch job on a 2002 Tacoma V6 4x4?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh by the way, even if you just sit back and tell me what to do, I can do the work, and there is all the free beer you can drink!!!

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
when are you wanting to do this? Clutch replacement is pretty simple for the most part. I may be willing to help if I can find a good time where I'm actually in town.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to do it sometime after the 15th of Jan. (thats when I get paid again). The truck drives fine on the road, but I would like to be able to take it offroad. The last couple times I MILDLY took it offroad, the clutch slipped pretty bad. I don't trust it offroad so the sooner the better. Have you done a clutch job before on one of these? Approx how long does it take?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Blinn79 said:
I would like to do it sometime after the 15th of Jan. (thats when I get paid again). The truck drives fine on the road, but I would like to be able to take it offroad. The last couple times I MILDLY took it offroad, the clutch slipped pretty bad. I don't trust it offroad so the sooner the better. Have you done a clutch job before on one of these? Approx how long does it take?

i'll give you a hand if im avaliable its simple task but always easier with a buddy to help .. few hrs at most. as I will be needing someone to give me a hand with mine around aug :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright then, Ill get the parts and let you know at least a week in advance before I decide to do it. Still don't know what clutch I am going to go with yet... any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Blinn79 said:
Alright then, Ill get the parts and let you know at least a week in advance before I decide to do it. Still don't know what clutch I am going to go with yet... any suggestions?

most aftermarket clutch kits will not include the pilot bearing so you must remember to order one from toyota.. I can get it locally at a pretty decent price.

I'd stick with all OEM clutch stuff.

pick u up
----
pressure plate
clutch disk
pilot bearing
throwout bearing
and depending on how many miles the clutch release fork couldn't hurt ! If your's was a 4cyl 2.7 I have all of the above sitting in my closet for the past year

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
It also makes it easier if you have a clutch alignment tool. This tool is usually a small piece of plastic that has splines like the input shaft of your tranny. You insert it into the pilot bearing like you transmission will, and then you install the pressure plate.

I bought a kit from Pep Boys which included the tool and then returned it after install.

Makes for an easier install when stabbing the transmission back into place.

·
Row Row Row your Boat
1,632 Posts
I don't know about pricing of parts for the taco, but just did thew clutch on my older 4runner sbout 2 weeks ago, took us Id say three hours and I bought everything I needed from Orileiys for under 100 bucks.

the one place you will really need help is getting the tranny down and out of the way and again putting it up and stabbing the shaft. I had two other helpers and we got it done.
Also a good floor jack.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts