TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear some opinion on the aftermarket clutches that everyone is running. I'm thinking about a clutchmasters clutch, but I can also get a decent deal on a centerforce.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,439 Posts
What type of engine? Do you have a supercharger/turbo? What type of driving and wheeling do you do? That info will help narrow down the type of clutch to recommend.

I've installed more then 6 different brands of clutches, some for specific s/c applications, others based on wheeling conditions. No real problems with any of the brands. Its all about picking the right one for your driving style.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a street/weekend wheeler. And its a stock '97 3.4. I've used Clutchmasters before and they've always been good. My sister's got a centerforce in her '00 3.4, and it has about as much play as a unsprung honda race clutch, plus I hear they go out quicker than they should. I could always get a TRD clutch, but then do I want to spend all that money when I can get something better?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
No point in upgrading the clutch if you dont have the horsepower mods to warrant it, the stock clutch is fine for stock engine output. I went with a Spec Stage 3+ in mine due to the supercharger, fuel mods and all that.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,439 Posts
Clutchmasters sounds like just a standard OEM replacement brand. If you've been happy with their products, I see no problem using them again. Just remember to get an OEM throwout bearing. Dont use an aftermarket throwout bearing, they die quickly and start squeaking to no end.

I've installed a few Centerforce DF clutches and heard mixed results. Now that I've installed some ACT and Spec clutches, I'd recommend those before the Centerforce. I particularly like the ACT clutch. But for a stock engine, its really more then you need, so just a standard replacement clutch is best.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a Zoom Kevlar clutch sitting in a box weighting on my new trans and then ill let you know what i think. The truck had an RP ceramic kevlar clutch and it had a rather harsh engagment and didnt slip well when wheeling. Im hopping the kevlar slips a bit more then the ceramic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts