TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 3 issues with my clutch on my 95 3.4 taco. When I first got it 10 years ago, I noticed the pedal didn't come back all the way. This
was so bad I actually had to pull the clutch pedal back with my left foot to allow the cruise control to engage. Then the squeaking started. Strangely
the squeak was worse when it was raining. There's no leak, I guess the wetness/humidity made it worse.

Finally, over the past few years, it was getting harder and harder to get it into first gear from a dead stop. No problems getting in/out of other gears, and if I was rolling slowly to a light going 3mph or so at a light, I had no problem getting into first. This also didn't happen every single attempt at getting into 1st.

I decided to finally do something about these things. I bought the below parts for the job. First I replaced the spring, the plastic u-bush, and also noticed there were 2 bushes for either side of the spring mount so I got them. While in there, I noticed the old spring had worn through where the old bush was installed and had started to wear through the metal. If I had enough time, I would have put some jbweld or something stronger there underneath the U-bush, but I'll see how long it'll last.

I'm glad I got the bushes for the 2 ends of the spring because they were totally worn out/destroyed. There's another bush that the pedal shift collar (the one that has a clip to secure it from sliding out) which secures the pedal to the clutch master cylinder pushrod. Mine was about 50% worn out but at least it had something left. Part number for that is below

Strangely it was easier to get the pedal assembly back in compared to removing. The cruise control switch connector was an absolute PITA to disconnect, but the entire job was a little less of a nightmare than I'd expected...

Also, removing and installing the spring were no big deal at all - not as scary as I thought from the write-ups. I used a write-up I found from a 4Runner
page.

I took it for a test drive before I tackled rebuilding the slave cylinder and I noticed immediate improvement. Now the pedal was smooth and offered slightly less resistance when I pushed on it, the squeaking from the pedal is gone, and the pedal finally returned all the way back. Now that the pedal comes back all the way
I have to break my now-unneeded habit of instinctively pulling the clutch pedal back w/my left foot!

I moved onto rebuilding the slave cylinder. That was an easy job, but I wish I'd have read showstops post about the new model before I got the rebuild kit. I got most of the air out, but I think I have to bleed again. My daughter helped me bleed it, but after she left I noticed the reservoir was about empty (dumbass move on my part for not checking frequently enough).

I had no choice since she left with my wife but to just put fluid in and try. I did notice some improvement in getting into 1st from the dead stop, but not as much as I'd hoped for. I'll bleed it again this weekend but will pay more attention to keeping it full of fluid.

Slave Cylinder Repair Kit 04313-17010 1
Spring Torsion 90949-03022 1
Bush (side spring mount points ) 90386-05018 2
Notorious plastic "U" bush 90389-05017 1

This one I wish I'd have purchased - Bush - pushrod mount clevis 90386-08002

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Showstop you and this forum have given me courage and knowledge to do far more to my truck than I'd ever imagined - thanks. I usually do a lot of scouring before I do something but oh well, hopefully bleeding it again this weekend will help getting into first gear easier...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts