TTORA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Clutch pedal Bearing

So I was looking and thinking and it dawned on me that if I could get a bearing in there it would fix the hell out of this problem! :D So I went down to the bearing store (seriously) and found a small bearing with an ID slightly larger than the ID of the U-bushing and the OD was whatever the bearing came with it didnt really matter.

So I guess I should tell you now rather than lead you all on that I havent completed this project yet, I have to pull out the spring and see if i can slide the bearing on down around the coilness of it or if that doesnt work Ill try cutting it and welding or splicing it back together... the welding probably wont work very well on this spring steel Anyone have any ideas or questions to help this problem?

·
Registered
469 Posts
My suggestion is what I'll be doing in a couple of days.

1. Remove that strange squeak causing spring all together.
2. Install a straight spring (from the write-ups I've seen, the mount points are there, it's just a simple plug-and-play install.
3. Enjoy never hearing that squeak crap from your clutch ever again.

I think your idea is good, though, and I wish Toyota had used a more durable design. Mine only has 53,000 miles and is already squeaking pretty badly. I'm sure your remedy would maintain the stock clutch feel, but the straight spring replacement seems easier and less likely to start making noises again later on down the road.

Let us know how it works though, like I said I think it is a decent idea. Did you get an actual bearing (needle rollers or ball bearing) or a solid metal bushing? I'd say that the true bearing would need lubrication once in a while, but still sounds like a neat idea.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I think your idea is good, though, and I wish Toyota had used a more durable design. Mine only has 53,000 miles and is already squeaking pretty badly.
Heck, mine had 15,000 miles when it started squeaking. I've added it to my warranty list.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yea mine started making noise @ about 25,000 miles...this is the first thread i have read about it though...i guess i'll bring it in now being that my warrenty is about the run out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a sealed ball bearing type, I thought about the solid bushing idea.. some hard steel would probably work better than that plastic deal. Your right about the straight spring its an easier fix BUT like you said its the stock clutch spring "feel" that I want, sometimes when I get in newer cars I feel the pedals and they make it feel new and high class but those straight springs are right off my old 86 toyota and I dont want to go back to that feeling. Its all personal pref.

The bearing should be sealed for life needing no lube but its slightly larger than the spring diameter so it may just want to slide around on it and squeak there instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jamier2 said:
My suggestion is what I'll be doing in a couple of days.

1. Remove that strange squeak causing spring all together.
2. Install a straight spring (from the write-ups I've seen, the mount points are there, it's just a simple plug-and-play install.
3. Enjoy never hearing that squeak crap from your clutch ever again.

I think your idea is good, though, and I wish Toyota had used a more durable design. Mine only has 53,000 miles and is already squeaking pretty badly. I'm sure your remedy would maintain the stock clutch feel, but the straight spring replacement seems easier and less likely to start making noises again later on down the road.

Let us know how it works though, like I said I think it is a decent idea. Did you get an actual bearing (needle rollers or ball bearing) or a solid metal bushing? I'd say that the true bearing would need lubrication once in a while, but still sounds like a neat idea.
I put the straight spring in there (as seen in this thread on Yotatech) and it still squeaks. But I don't really mind, I just did it so I wouldn't have to replace the bushing every time it fragged.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I finally got around to pulling my clutch pedal assembly out and fixing it my way(Its actually been done and holding up without any problems for almost 2 months now), I was just waiting for the latest bushing in there to go bad first.

And it was a success. It was a bit of a pain in the ass winding this bearing down around the coils on the spring but I got it to the center and then I had to use a round file to file out a larger seat for this beaing instead of the small bushing. The bearing OD is the same as the width of that peice of flat it sits in so it didnt have much sides holding it to it when the pedal was pushed so I used some small Diameter tubing and band sawed it down its length and then took the two halves and straped them(using two small hose clamps) along the sides of the flatbar and then it held the bearing very nicely! After all was well I welded the tube halves on instead of the clamps.

It took me about an hour an a half to make this up from nothing in a well equiped shop. Now that I know what im doing it would go real fast and I could actually make up some kits I guess, It could have the whole flatbar/tube holder assembly made up already and the bearing and all you would have to do it cut off your old flatbar and weld on this, then wind teh bearing down the spring and put it together.

Any questions? it seems a little hard to explain, Ill try to take some pics or draw something if you need it anybody.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Any questions? it seems a little hard to explain, Ill try to take some pics or draw something if you need it anybody.[/QUOTE]
SHOOT... it sounds confusing as all hell. Try to get a pic or two if possible, or a simple drawing. I think you may be right in the other thread about the shaft, I guess I am gonna learn to find the bushing and grease/ replace that thing. Thanks for the insight!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rojodiablo said:
SHOOT... it sounds confusing as all hell.
Lol ok ill try to get some soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
YUNADERIS said:
just do away with the spring and bushing all together..i have been running without both for about two years now and no adverse effects... the pedal still returns all the way and it gives a much more enjoyable pedal feel
true that....i finally gave up on mine too and have had nothing there for about 6 months with no squeaking and no problems at all...

Maxims

·
Registered
650 Posts
Very Impressive Yeti...

My dad and I were throwing around the idea last month. I just got all the parts needed to do it the Toyota way... Post up some pics. Or send them to me and I'll post them. You have me thinking now.

Brian

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Can you describe in full detail "enjoyable pedal feel" please. I think I may be missing that pedal feal thing but can't really be sure. Is it like stepping in a fresh cow pie barefoot, or more like walking on a warm, not hot, summer beach. I'm sure the rest of us would like to know too. :confused:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thats a good question Dick... If the cow [pie were fresh enough to still be warm it would be a close tossup between the two, its really a whole body experience when you push your foot down and that pedal just softly sinks down to the floor ahhhhhhh yeah

·
Registered
134 Posts
This squeak that you guys are talking about. Is it the same as my "chirp"?

The chirp that goes away if I depress the clutch pedal about 1/8"?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No i think your chirp is different, youre saying it chirps all the time until you press the pedal some? this could be coming from the throwout bearing or the pilot bearing I think. And also i think the pilot bearing has a bad rep for squeaking, I think you could search on here for info about that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts