TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have developed a creak in the pedal recently. Tried hitting all the pivots inside the truck and it got party of it, but it seem like it may be coming from past the firewall. I peered under the hood, and everything under there seems to be sealed or covered. Any suggestions for how to silence it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Write Up

anestech* said:
Have developed a creak in the pedal recently. Tried hitting all the pivots inside the truck and it got party of it, but it seem like it may be coming from past the firewall. I peered under the hood, and everything under there seems to be sealed or covered. Any suggestions for how to silence it?
Hang tight, there is a writeup somewhere around here about replacing the stretchy bushing with a spring from the hardware store or something to that effect. I'm still looking...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
mine groans as well but i have put it off because that doesn't look like a very fun job.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I think I will check out that spring from a 2nd gen 4runner, or maybe no spring at all. If I don't like it, I can always pull it apart and put in a bushing.

The taco does have a moderately stiff clutch to begin with. I hadn't driven our nissan NX in a while, and it has a very soft clutch pedal, and the first few times I went to put the clutch in, I SLAMMMED it really hard into the floor. Sounded like Bill Engvals joke about the imaginary brake pedal!

·
Registered
503 Posts
anestech* said:
I had the exact same problem. What you need to do is go buy some white lithium grease and crawl under your truck to where the slave cylinder pushes aginst the fork that moves the pressure plate back and forth. Its a plastic gromet with a peice of metal coming out of it. If you look right behind the slave cyl you will see it. Just spray a bunch of grease in there and pump the pedal it will go away. I Have to do it once a year when it get cold then it gone.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a squeak when i depress my clutch and from what i have heard it is from sand and dirt inside the clutch... not to sure but that is wat i have heard, u might want to get it checked out because i am about to have to replace me clutch because of all the mud that got in it when i went mudding

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI, the clutch return spring on all 4 cyls is the linear type spring (the one being used in the yotatech thread) and the 6 cys use the torsion type. I ordered a spring for a 95 4runner 6 cyl and it was a torsion type. So I just ordered a spring for a 02 4 cly taco, which is the linear type. The upper brackets (where they top of the linear spring attaches) are not the same part number between 4 and 6 cyls, but they look identical in the picture on the parts computer.

I should be doing this mod next Friday or so, and I will post up how it works. I did get a new bushing too, just in case I don't like it. I will also try it with no springs and see who that goes too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the creak in the clutch pedal linkage at about 85k miles. Since I still was under extended warranty, I took it to the dealer. There are (on my '03) about 4 plastic bushings in the linkage. One had broken and two small pieces fell to the floor. They replaced all of them for free. The parts were listed at about $16 and labor $38, plus the use of a free rental car for a couple hours. That's the only warranty repair I have had. Now at 97K miles.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took me less than 3 minutes from start to finish, just popped out the torsion spring with a screwdriver and hooked on the new one. So that bracket probably was made for a linear spring to be attached. If anyone has a pic of a 4 cyls clutch return spring, post it up to compare.

Pedal does feel a bit stiffer at the bottom, but not much. But it is significantly stiffer to push in by hand. However, it feels about the same as without the spring at all, so I guess the torsion thing does actually reduce the pedal effort required. Some day, I may pull the whole thing out, and put the torsion back in, with a new bushing. But not today...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts