TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I replaced the stock (burned out) clutch in my 2.7L with a Marlin clutch. I love the Marlin clutch but whenever I let the clutch out too fast in first or turn corners while accellerating hard in 1st, I hear a grinding/clunking noise from the rear of the pickup. I've tightened everthing back up to factory torque specs and I can't see anything irregular (and believe me - replacing a clutch makes you very familiar with your truck's undercarriage). Any ideas as to what this could be? So far it hasn't caused any problems but it is most definitely not a good noise!

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
maybe a u-joint?pinion nut?carrier bearing?
good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i just replaced my clutch on thursday and my truck is making a clunking noise to.
what i did was lift the two rear tires and put them on jack stands. then i had some one give it gas to about 25mph and i look under the truck and found out it is inside the 3rdmember.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
00Andy said:
Last weekend I replaced the stock (burned out) clutch in my 2.7L with a Marlin clutch. I love the Marlin clutch but whenever I let the clutch out too fast in first or turn corners while accellerating hard in 1st, I hear a grinding/clunking noise from the rear of the pickup. I've tightened everthing back up to factory torque specs and I can't see anything irregular (and believe me - replacing a clutch makes you very familiar with your truck's undercarriage). Any ideas as to what this could be? So far it hasn't caused any problems but it is most definitely not a good noise!
My first thought would be something going out in the 3rd member like the spider gears or something. Do you have a rear locker? (If so, which type) Next thought would be the center support bushing (aka carrier bearing) for the driveshaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
ShowStop
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing