TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I have a '03 3.4 with the s/c on it in my 93 4runner. I have been noticing something very weird recently. When the motor is cold, and I am in 4th gear, low rpms, it seems that I can get the clutch to slip.

This clutch has less than 7k miles on it, so I really cant see it being worn out. It only seems to happen in 4th gear, but Im not 100% positive about that. My only thought is that some fluid is getting into the bellhousing. I dont seem to be losing any oil, but I guess it wouldnt take much to make it slip. But why does it seem to only happen in 4th gear????

Thank for the help,

Eric

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
My only guess is maybe the higher load in 4th is causing a slip due to inadequate pressure on the clutch. Did you replace the pressure plate when you put the clutch in? Resurface the flywheel?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The prseeure plate and disc were replaced. I cant say if the flywheel was resurfaced, but Im thinking he didnt. Either way, I cant see why it is doing it now unless some fluid is getting in there. Thats what makes me think it is the rear main seal. I just dont understand the 4th gear thing though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to go out and check, but I havnt noticed it yet. I pulled the flywheel inspection cover off, and it doesnt look like oil is coming down the backside of the flywheel. The bottom of the bellhousing has a little oil, but right after the swap I had a pretty mean oil pan leak that I fixed.

I kept thinking it wasnt slipping, that it was my imagination, but I think it is. Why would 4th or 5th, lugged down slip more than a lower gear? I would think it would be more power in the lower gears.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I kept thinking it wasnt slipping, that it was my imagination, but I think it is. Why would 4th or 5th, lugged down slip more than a lower gear? I would think it would be more power in the lower gears.[/QUOTE]
Load at speed can make the clutch slip, but usually you would see some slip in lower gears. Possibly, if it is a centerforce type clutch, with 2 'stages' , the softer stage that takes over after the hard acceleration may have an issue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not a centerforce. Basically a stock replacement clutch. I agree that I should see some slip in the lower gears as well....probably see it more, but I am not. I was going to try and see if it slipped in 5th this morning, but it was pretty icy out, and no real chance on the way to the bus.

How common is it for the rear main seal to leak? I really dont want to pull my tranny, but I was planning on pulling my quads down to the sand at the end of the month, so I need to make sure Im ok.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
I don't think a rear main seal leak is that common. The only time I've heard of that leaking is when switching from dino to synthetic on high mileage trucks. Or a lighter weight oil for that matter. However if you were leaking oil into the flywheel/clutch it would be slipping at every gear. You would probably even be able to stop the truck while in gear and not have the engine stall or shut off. In my opinion it has to be something to do with the pressure plate, clutch material, or flywheel glazing. I have an auto on my truck so I don't have a feel for a manual with a SC. I do feel the slower shifts when I have a heavy foot so I know my stock tranny needs the valvebody upgrade. I would imagine for the manual tranny to handle the SC you would need a better than stock clutch/pressure plate. If you really do think your clutch is slipping I would consider buying an aftermarket high performance clutch and when you drop the tranny you can look for leaks. Sorry I couldn't help with more than just that, but If you go the route of the SC, you have to upgrade everything else so it can be capable of handling the power. Check out this thread for information on clutches:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3592

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess I am just shocked that the clutch cant hold it. It doesnt seem like its that much power really. And the stock trucks that toyota are putting the s/c's on are doing ok, right? I agree about the oil though...it has to be something else.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 03 with just over 40k on it. i started having the same thing about 2 weeks ago when it got real cold here in maryland. it started to slip in 4th and 5th gear. Still doing it, but only when it is cold outside.

·
Registered
297 Posts
odonekanobe said:
Hey. I have a '03 3.4 with the s/c on it in my 93 4runner. I have been noticing something very weird recently. When the motor is cold, and I am in 4th gear, low rpms, it seems that I can get the clutch to slip.

This clutch has less than 7k miles on it, so I really cant see it being worn out. It only seems to happen in 4th gear, but Im not 100% positive about that. My only thought is that some fluid is getting into the bellhousing. I dont seem to be losing any oil, but I guess it wouldnt take much to make it slip. But why does it seem to only happen in 4th gear????

Thank for the help,

Eric
Sounds like its slipping. Since you said that the flywheel wasnt resurfaced, thats an e-ticket to early clutch failure. My 4runner when I had it went through 3 clutches and it always started in 4th gear. I started noticing it when I mashed on the gas in 4th getting on the freeway. Is it possible that someone got some grease or oil on the face of the clutch when they were installing it? Thatll make it fail and slip too...... hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts