TTORA Forum banner

CO2 bottle question

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  fourstringfletch 
#1 ·
Do you have to have ownership papers to get a CO2 bottle filled up? I found some old bottles I think that were from Pepsi and would like to use one of them for the trail. When you get them filled is it a trade in for a new one or do they fill it up right there? There are numbers stamped on the bottles.

#2 ·
They need to be certified every 5 years. They test the bottle and it should be stamped with a month/year of its last test. And they will fill up your bottle while you wait, depending on where you go.

--Scott

#4 ·
faithoffroad said:
So as long as I can find a date within 5 yrs I will be good and won't be asked about where I got the bottle?
As long as the bottle doesnt have anything on it like pepsico etc that makes it obvious that it doesnt belong to you and the hydro date is good they probably wont ask any questions.

#5 ·
faithoffroad said:
Do you have to have ownership papers to get a CO2 bottle filled up? I found some old bottles I think that were from Pepsi and would like to use one of them for the trail. When you get them filled is it a trade in for a new one or do they fill it up right there? There are numbers stamped on the bottles.
I have an old pepsi CO2 bottle also. Took it to my local CO2 vendor and they wouldn't fill it. Two reasons- the certification date was old and the bottle had pespi stamped on it (they were a Coca-Cola dealer).

I solved this by sanding down the whole tank, filling the pepsi name stamp with epoxy resin, sanding that smooth, then repainting the tank. Now that the tank was repainted, I took it to a local fire extinguisher company that handles hydrostatic testing and they re-certified the tank for another 5 years. I've now got two years left on the current certification.

#6 ·
Oh yea, just fill the pespi co name and any phone number, and not all the other numbers. The other numbers on the tank are for the tank size, certification, and original manufacturer serial. You want to leave those numbers on the tank.

#8 ·
Even if you dont find a date within 5 years just take them down to get Hydrostatic tested, it only runs about $20 at most shops. They'll test it and if it's good roll stamp a new date on. Most places dont worry about ownership markings unless theres been complaints of missing bottles.

Tim

#9 ·
knoxtaco said:
As long as the bottle doesnt have anything on it like pepsico etc that makes it obvious that it doesnt belong to you and the hydro date is good they probably wont ask any questions.
It just has a sticker Thanks

#10 ·
ShowStop said:
I have an old pepsi CO2 bottle also. Took it to my local CO2 vendor and they wouldn't fill it. Two reasons- the certification date was old and the bottle had pespi stamped on it (they were a Coca-Cola dealer).

I solved this by sanding down the whole tank, filling the pepsi name stamp with epoxy resin, sanding that smooth, then repainting the tank. Now that the tank was repainted, I took it to a local fire extinguisher company that handles hydrostatic testing and they re-certified the tank for another 5 years. I've now got two years left on the current certification.
Good idea on the epoxy. How much did it cost for recerification?

#14 · (Edited)
Just go to a welding gas shop. Like airgas, praxair. You don't wait to have a tank filled, you just exchange it!! "Waiter... another beer, and a CO2 to go.." As we said in Hawaii, All PAU! for Haoles, that means the transaction has been completed. P.S. Many shops don't check the tanks for dates and certs, as most are cycled so much, it is a part of doing buisness that they run them through,and if the age/ cert is an issue, it is dealt with by them, as it is in their system, and cost effective. Pressure for a 75% co2/25% argon is 2500 psi. Or, about 20 tire fills for a small bottle with a 31-33" tire. Give or take.

#15 ·
fourstringfletch said:
that's what I figured. anyone know what pressure they're at?
Pressure rating depends on the certification of the bottle when it's manufactured, i.e. if its manufactured as a 2265, 2500, 3500 so on, certified pressure will be stamped on the neck/flange of the bottle, along with the hydrostatic test date.
A hydrostatic test is performed on the bottle to certified pressure and 10% above, the hydrostatic test verifys bottle integrity, cylinder stress, volume, and interior degradation.
Recomended pressure for CO2 bottles is min 2500PSI with a 2000PSI Blow out disk or 1900PSI Pop off valve. Idealy both.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.