TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build my own CO2 setup so I can air down, but I don't know what to look for in a regulator. I'm not even sure what type of regulator to get. Any help would be very welcome, thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
GreenTaco said:
I want to build my own CO2 setup so I can air down, but I don't know what to look for in a regulator. I'm not even sure what type of regulator to get. Any help would be very welcome, thanks
Calling Jody!!!! ;)

Well obviously you will need a tank...people have used scuba tanks with success. Are you only wanting to air up or do you also want to run air tools? Answering that will allow you to understand first if you can use a fixed regulator or not.

Have you check out THESE

Hope that helps a tad!

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
I don't think you're supposed to use a scuba tank to hold CO2.

There are essentially two regulator options: variable and fixed pressure. If you don't have a need to vary the pressure then simply get a fixed one, they are much cheaper. You do not need a gauge of any sort on a fixed pressure regulator, it will not indicate how much CO2 is left in the tank anyway.

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
Jody here..... You rang Mike???

What you need is a high-flow CO2 regulator like we sell. Ours are static, set at 150 PSI which is plenty for off-road use. 150 PSI will air up quick and is enough to re-seat a tire bead back on the rim. Our regulators are proven in this task.

I have a couple of spare regs that are not going in inventory and don't have any fittings that I can let go at a *real good* price. PM me for details and I'll explain more about CO2 theory as it applies to airing up tires for off-road :D

Jody.

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
You measure how much CO2 is left by weight. You are weighing the liquid CO2 in the tank. You're right Bob, a tank-side gauge is useless on any regulator.

A 25 lb. fish scale works like a charm. But you'll get used to the "feel" pretty quickly and be able to gauge how much is left.

Jody.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anybody looking for a CO2 regulator my boss has about 30 of them laying around at the shop. They are brand new. PM me or e-mail me at gwc81365 at juno.com if interested.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
FYI GreenTaco,
Many air-tools are spec'd to be run at 90psi. That pressure works fine for airing up tires fast too, but I've never needed to reseat a bead, so I can't tell you for sure if that's OK at 90.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
zszac111 said:
just become friends with the coke or pepsi guy, i got 2 tanks for 10 bucks a while back, then get a static high pres regulator and be done with it.
good idea...as long as that friend will refill the tanks for you ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
GreenTaco said:
See if this post helps. I bought a reg off of ebay for $25 and found a local fire extinguisher refill shop that had some tanks just like kyle did.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
hytenor said:
good idea...as long as that friend will refill the tanks for you ;)

ive never had any problems with just taking the tanks in for an excachange at airgas :confused: either way the tanks are ugly but hell all its got to do is safely hold Co2 ya know..Maybe ill get out the sprayer and put 10 coats of paint on it, clear coat it and make a bling bling handle for it :D

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
zszac111 said:
ive never had any problems with just taking the tanks in for an excachange at airgas :confused: either way the tanks are ugly but hell all its got to do is safely hold Co2 ya know..Maybe ill get out the sprayer and put 10 coats of paint on it, clear coat it and make a bling bling handle for it :D
dang, lucky down there. My local gas shop wouldn't touch one tank I took in for refill/recert because he said it looked "altered" and painted like a Pepsi CO2 tank (20#). I had picked up a few tanks for cheap at a garage sale; two were still w/in certification so they just swapped them but the other... I wound up 'fixing' the spot that he didn't like and painting the tank. they took it the next time and sent it in for re-cert. Now its good for another 5 yrs ;)

this shop also won't fill any tank with CO2 that isn't certified for CO2. I guess fire extinguishers are technically CO2 and retardant so they should be ok but I havn't tried that.

I use a 10# tank for wheeling and its great.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/CO2 tank,bracket/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts