TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around on ebay for a coil compressor, and saw this one:

Ebay Auction Link Click Here

Anyone think this one is a good product for the Tacoma 4x4 front coils?

I'd really like to find somebody local ( Murrieta / Temecula, CA) that will help me out. Last time I changed my stock coils over to upgraded coils I stripped the coil compressor and had to cut it off with a sawzall! Talk about sketchy! I did have some crappy harbor freight coil compressors, but really hoping somebody has a nice coil compressor and is willing to help. I know that there are shops around here that want premium cash for the service, so I will have to go that route if nobody says anything.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
got my coils compressed with the 3" toytec spacers monday...and My friend and I went to tire kindom first because it was closer...and we broke their coil compressor...lol....man these TRD coils are stiff....lol went to NTB and got it in...but i haven't really felt any stiffenss on my ride yet...but i'm sure i will soon...

you should consider on getting something nice if you plan to compress any TRD coils...hehe

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
taco23 said:
If you live near an Auto Zone, you can rent a quality coil compressor from them.
I checked out Auto Zone's coil compressor, and it was basically the same kind I broke doing the install of these coils last time. I might just go down to Harbor Freight and buy two sets of the coil compressors and see if I can get more than just the standard one set on each coil. If I can get 3 or 4 of the compressor units on a coil , and use anti sieze compound this time, then I would feel safe about doing the install myself. It's such a easy job, but having a better tool would make a big difference. Yes these coils are STIFF. I like them enough to buy them twice though, so they can't be that bad. I see on ebay some clamshell type compressors that look nice. I don't know if they are any better, but there is no buy-it-now auctions for them, and I want to get these springs installed when they get here and not have to wait around for a compressor to ship from the east coast. I have an ARB bull bumper on the way from New Mexico too, and new BFG T/A KOs on the way from Reno, NV. I want to get all this stuff on the truck and get my alignment done ASAP!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
The coil spring compressor I got from AutoZone would not work for Tacoma coils... As far as I know they only had one "style" compressor and it required inserting it from the bottow with the coil seated on it. The Tacos have the strut in there so that doesn't work. I had to take mine and have it done. Pepboys charged $42 to install my spacers and did it excatly as I asked.

Jason

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
I know that there are shops around here that want premium cash for the service, so I will have to go that route if nobody says anything.
You shouldn't get charged much at all for compressing coils if you remove them yourself and bring them in. The last couple friends I helped got charged around $25 for both sides. Much easier and safer IMO than dealing with the rentals or the harbor frieght stuff.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
I checked out Auto Zone's coil compressor, and it was basically the same kind I broke doing the install of these coils last time. I might just go down to Harbor Freight and buy two sets of the coil compressors and see if I can get more than just the standard one set on each coil. If I can get 3 or 4 of the compressor units on a coil , and use anti sieze compound this time, then I would feel safe about doing the install myself. It's such a easy job, but having a better tool would make a big difference. Yes these coils are STIFF. I like them enough to buy them twice though, so they can't be that bad. I see on ebay some clamshell type compressors that look nice. I don't know if they are any better, but there is no buy-it-now auctions for them, and I want to get these springs installed when they get here and not have to wait around for a compressor to ship from the east coast. I have an ARB bull bumper on the way from New Mexico too, and new BFG T/A KOs on the way from Reno, NV. I want to get all this stuff on the truck and get my alignment done ASAP!!!
I got one from auto zone and harbor freight. The harbor freight one is a piece of shit and it broke one of the hooks while I was compressing the spring but the auto zone worked just fine. They look similar but are made different

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JCRENFROW said:
I got a compressor from http://www.jcwhitney.com and have compressed stock, nwor progressive, and my 881's a few times and it works great. I think it was like $40.
I went ahead and took your advice, and ordered the compressor from JC whitney. I got the one that was close to $40.00, which was the more expensive one, but I really don't want to have any problems and figured it was worth it. The part number I ordered was ZX147426U. Because you stated you had used it on NWOR coils, I felt that I could trust that this compressor was not going to strip or break like the one I had before. Thank you!
I went around today, to a few service garages, and most of them said they wanted around $100.00 EVEN OFF THE TRUCK!!! I did find one that was reasonable, but I like tools, and working on stuff, so I don't mind buying the tool and doing it myself. Thanks again!

·
Registered
931 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
I was looking around on ebay for a coil compressor, and saw this one:

Ebay Auction Link Click Here

Anyone think this one is a good product for the Tacoma 4x4 front coils?

I'd really like to find somebody local ( Murrieta / Temecula, CA) that will help me out. Last time I changed my stock coils over to upgraded coils I stripped the coil compressor and had to cut it off with a sawzall! Talk about sketchy! I did have some crappy harbor freight coil compressors, but really hoping somebody has a nice coil compressor and is willing to help. I know that there are shops around here that want premium cash for the service, so I will have to go that route if nobody says anything.
I have two sets. The first is a cheap one from kragen. It bends/bows when you get it under a lot of pressure. The second was from Snap-On Tools off the local tool truck. It cost about $50. I have done both TRD and non-TRD coils with them without any problems. So far I have done 4 front end setups: twice adding spacer lifts , once swapping out the stock for OME springs, and most recently replacing the stock front coils on a 4-runner for the OME setup (write up not yet up :) ) I normally use the Snap-on compressors to get it started, then add the cheap compressors and then go down on all 4 until the top plate is clear. I figure it spreads the pressure out and if one should fail there are more backups! I would help, but its too long of a drive!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
TRD4ME / PARKSOFFROAD.COM
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing