TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an idea with some old heavy pipe I had laying around...

Seeing how things are gonna line up...

Hardened bolt w/nut is done after centering/drilling out...

I'll have to open the sides , this pipe is juuuuust a little bit smaller in dia., but workable.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
& here's a notched view of the strut pole (I dont know what else to call it)..

starting to shape up...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There'll be another stand attached & it'll be centered over the top of strut & I'm going to use a 3 ton hydraulic bottle jack for a ram with a 2.5" dia. 4" long piece of pipe with a window cut out of it for starting the strut nut once coil is compressed, should be easy to build , has been so far just started yesterday afternoon & an hour or 2 today..

Most importantly it'll be safe & fast too...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shit, did i put this in the wrong section ?? I see a fabrication/Tools thread, no matter it'll still say the same thing..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Shit, did i put this in the wrong section ?? I see a fabrication/Tools thread, no matter it'll still say the same thing..
I'm curious how you're going to incorporate the bottle jack into this. Seams sketchy to me but to each his own.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I built one similar to this idea, but I placed the bottle jack under and pumped it up into the solid top bar. Still felt sketchy, I recommend some sort of dampener or strap just incase the spring goes flying. Happened to me... Nice dent in my friends truck... Oh and wear eye protection. Haha

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm curious how you're going to incorporate the bottle jack into this. Seams sketchy to me but to each his own.
I've compressed more than a few struts using the conventional all thread w/clamps (talk about sketchy!!) & the other method using a floor jack loosening the lower ball joint, not as sketchy but kinda of a pain.. But this method will be safe when I'm done with it, just gentle applied pressure with hydraulics

I built one similar to this idea, but I placed the bottle jack under and pumped it up into the solid top bar. Still felt sketchy, I recommend some sort of dampener or strap just incase the spring goes flying. Happened to me... Nice dent in my friends truck... Oh and wear eye protection. Haha

Always....

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Coil Over... not strut... :D
You knew what he meant when he said strut. That is an acceptable term for the shock on the front of a Tacoma. You don't need to try and correct everyone's terminology.

If you are working on Tacoma's or similar vehicles, you don't need a strut compressor. I used the method in the link below today, and it worked like a charm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You knew what he meant when he said strut. That is an acceptable term for the shock on the front of a Tacoma. You don't need to try and correct everyone's terminology.

If you are working on Tacoma's or similar vehicles, you don't need a strut compressor. I used the method in the link below today, and it worked like a charm.

Oh , I've done it this way also it's just easier/faster taking the assem. out throw in on this, compress it down do whatever your doing (change setting or R&R coil) This isn't for a one time thing I do this for others as well

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

In the words of Sasaholic. "shut the fuck up you don't know what your talkin about"

Strut and coil over are not the same. No need to use a compressor in a strut.

·
Registered
516 Posts
In the words of Sasaholic. "shut the fuck up you don't know what your talkin about"

Strut and coil over are not the same. No need to use a compressor in a strut.
It's sad I have to do this, again...

strut/strət/

Noun:

A rod or bar forming part of a framework and designed to resist compression.

Via Google, perhaps you've heard of it?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Also, you should refer to this thread: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186150

"Arguing correct vehicle terminology is a futile battle, mostly because those that use the incorrect term just don't care what the correct term actually is. Another issue is that some parts have more then one name. Now if somebody uses a wrong term that makes it hard to understand what they are talking about, then clarification is in order. But I don't think anybody misunderstood what the OP meant when they said strut.

Also, your post was also obviously trolling, so you apparently just want attention. Here ya go-" ShowStop

In the words of ShowStop, "You're a tool"

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Ok to start off I was just messing with. He doesn't need your dumb ass to try and protect him.

Secondly:

When you mount a spring to a STRUT and creat the complete component you have a coil over... without the spring you have a strut. Without the strut you have a spring. When you combine the two you have a fucking coil over which is short for coil over strut.

The whole purpose of this thread is to discuss his idea of a COIL OVER SPRING COMPRESSOR. Not a STRUT compressor. The SPRING must be compressed to allow it to be fitted and mounted onto the STRUT to form a COIL OVER.

In fact a STRUT compressor would be counterproductive because it should be in full extension to mount the spring.

Figure out what the fuck your talking about BEFORE you start talking.

And again for the record. I was just messing with him! Why would I seriously get on his shit when he is the only one actualy out building something.

And as for me. I am done with you.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
And how am I trolling when I'm the first person to post anything of relevancy to his build?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I wasn't protecting anyone. He/she can fight his or her own battles. I guess you missed the little " " marks letting you know it was a quote from someone else. I didn't say you were trolling, it was part of quote.

You are going to call me a dumbass with spelling and grammar like that? Wow.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Actually, I have seen the term "Strut Assembly" used in the past, and quite often, to describe the whole strut+spring unit. Just auto slang...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Now now boys, I believe the real name is torsion bar....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts