TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Toytech 3" lift kit for my 96 Tacoma Ext. cab 4x4. Out of the options they had I chose to go with a spring kit rather than just spacers. It was my understanding when I bought the kit that the coil springs were longer which is where I would get the lift. The ride would also be better as well as the travel and articulation. When I got my front end torn apart, I found the new coil springs and the stock ones to be the same exact size :mad: . I contacted Toytech and they said that the new coils should be about one inch longer. In a later email, they said they;re the same size as stock just more resitant (He called them either OME881 or OEM881) :mad: .

After that novel.....my question is, what will be the result of using the new coils? Will it lift my truck (stiffer springs = less sag) and how will the ride and travel be with a stiffer spring? Or should I go to a local spring manufacturer and have them make new coils that are actually longer? If I did that, should the tension be the same as stock?

this just doesn't seem like a "duh" situation.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Measure the spring: The 880 free height is 365mm, the 881 free height is 375mm. The 10mm is the difference in about 1-1.5 inches of lift. There should also be a tag on the spring that says 881 or 880 etc. Toytec knows their stuff I don't think they are screwin' you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have 881s on my truck. They toytec lift with 881 is a 3 inch lift. The ride is smilliar to stock just a litle firmer. Its all about the shocks too. Put a Bilstein HD or even better a OME shock. The spring is stiffer and the TRD bilstein or stock shocks aren't valved to handle the xtra spring rate. The combo is way better than a spacer lift. OME is probably one of the better flexing setups you can do especially for the price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, GOLDTACO you're pretty happy with your lift, because it seems you have the same setup as mine. I was told that I might want to change out my rear leafs as well since I have 111,000 on the truck instead of going with the AAL. RIght now I feel like I'm getting beatn to death as I drive down the road. I don't know if it means the springs are bad or what. I replaced the shocka all around less than a year ago. If you say its a little firmer ride Im hesitant because right now I feel every bump....

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The ride in my truck was far better with my 881 / bilstein hd combo than it ever was with the stock crap........I had no spacers so my lift was only abou 2".......but that should not matter much.......as someone else said the biggest thing is going to be shocks.....which ones did you get??

As for the rear.....Yes replace the whole leaf pack.......you will be money ahead (I did not do this and i kick myself in the ass for it).....and it will ride better......and again get some good shocks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Spring theory is complicated at best. A lot of people would have you beleive that a 480lb coils reraims a 480lb coils through out it's compression stroke. This is simple not the case. All springs get stiffer as they compress. The difference between regular springs and progressive springs such as the TRD coils is that regular spring get stiffer linerarally and progressive coils get stiffer progressively. A 480lb coil means it takes 480lbs to compress the coil 1" and the coils get stiffer in a predictable mannor where each additional inch reqiures an equal additional force. IE 60lbs more will move it 1" and another 60lbs would move it an additional 1".

Progressive coils get progressively stiffer. So it might start out as a 480lb coils and need 60lbs to compress it an inch but will require a 100lbs to compress it an extra inch and 160lbs to push it another.

What does all of this mean? The stock non TRD coil compressed about an inch is very close in spring rate as an OME coils that is published at 500lbs. Although OME coils all have a 500lb spring rate, the net effect is each model has it's own independant spring rate due to their lenght and the required compression to fit the shock assembly.

I have been discussing the matter with several custom coil manufactures to come up with the best solution for my needs. I decided on a 490-500lb spring rate which is what OME decided on way back in the day. The only reason I didn't go with OME is that they are not left/right biased. Stock coils are, if you look at uncompressed stock springs you will notice that one coils has more space between the winds although it is the same lenght as it's buddy.

My suggestion? Put in the OME 881's and stop thinking about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts